Knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Reading "Song of the Paddle" at the moment (great book but I will post about it when finished). In the book Bill says that he can never remember any knots. He tends to make them up as he goes along. He also says when it is important a knot does not come out, he ties LOTS of them. When hanging over a waterfall to take some pictures he estimates he had about a hundred knots tied on top of each other but as he points out for all his lack of knowledge of knots he has never been injured due to one coming out.

Hogan

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2004
Scotland
I'd have to go along with the constrictor (or miller's) knot as favourite, but most used would be the half-windsor (for my tie) and the bow (shoelaces).

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Fisherman's hitch.

This is more or less the same as a round turn and two half hitches, but with the free part going into the round turn, before the half hitches.

hitch5.jpg

But this is a close call, since I have about twelve knots that I use frequently, and unfortunately the original post precludes me from mentioning the others...

Keith.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
There are several knots that I find indispensable, but if it had to be only one, then it's the figure of eight, backed up to make a loop. Despite it's popularity among people here, no climber today would use a bowline knot because they DO slip under heavy load and are simply not as safe as a figure eight.

Cheers

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Excellent point - the bowline does slip, no matter what many books on the subject say. Maybe with natural fibre ropes the scope for slip was limited, but with synthetics, it's far from ideal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE