Knife Restoration for whittling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 18, 2014
Beverley
Good morning all,

Whilst doing a bit of a clear out in the loft I stumbled upon an old pen knife from the previous home owner, probably when the house was built over 50 years ago. Both sides of the handle have broken off leaving the pins still there.

I would like to have a go at whittling and thought I could turn this knife into a project in itself.
links to photos;

I would like to know a few things before I ruin a project before it has begun!
1) should I keep the same shape of the blade
2) should I try and straighten the cutting edge of the blade
3) should I leave the pins in before putting new handles on, or cut and drill them out
4) what glue should I use to fix everything together
5) how do I sharpen the blade for whittling

I have looked on the internet for these answers, but unfortunately I am getting a mixed bag of answers.
also as we are in lockdown at the moment I am trying to do this with what I have in the garage.

I appreciate any answers.

Thanks
Mark

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My take on your questions would be:

Yes as you can always alter the shape at later date once you've had a play with it.

See 1

3) should I leave the pins in before putting new handles on, or cut and drill them out
Leave them in unless you fancy reconstructing the whole knife with new pins etc.
You can easily fit new scales by making a cardboard pattern of where the pins are and drilling the scales to fit. Just file off any of the mushrooming the pins might have so fitting the scales is easier and you get a tighter fit.

A slow acting epoxy is fine. 5 minute setting means you'll be rushing around fitting and clamping before it sets

Theres lots of YT videos on sharpening but a full flat grind is good but has to be maintained more than a grind with micro bevel or convex grind.
The important thing is making sure it's really sharpso you get crisp carving lines.

Reactions: plastic-ninja
Mar 18, 2014
Beverley
My take on your questions would be:

Yes as you can always alter the shape at later date once you've had a play with it.

See 1

Leave them in unless you fancy reconstructing the whole knife with new pins etc.
You can easily fit new scales by making a cardboard pattern of where the pins are and drilling the scales to fit. Just file off any of the mushrooming the pins might have so fitting the scales is easier and you get a tighter fit.

A slow acting epoxy is fine. 5 minute setting means you'll be rushing around fitting and clamping before it sets

Theres lots of YT videos on sharpening but a full flat grind is good but has to be maintained more than a grind with micro bevel or convex grind.
The important thing is making sure it's really sharpso you get crisp carving lines.

Wow, that was a quick reply! Thank you for your answers, good points and a few terminology words for me to learn. I will look into the sharpening videos and see which is best suited for me. Thanks again

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A dull knife is a dangerous knife. This needs to be "carving sharp."
I suggest that you start with quality Linden (aka basswood).
You can't do what you see others do without good woods and sharp tools.
Many woods turn from cheese to bone when they dry and you will be disappointed with their toughness.
But, there's only one way to "learn the wood."

A few sheets of fine automotive wet& dry finishing sandpaper (600, 800, 1000, 1200 & 1500 grits)
Your strop can be a length of file folder or junk food box card (crisps).
Green chromium Oxide is good as a honing compound,so is plain white Aluminum Oxide.
Total included bevel angle maybe 15 degrees for whittling, no more is a far bigger "push" to open the wood.

By all means, give this a go. Carving, whittling, is a satisfying concept.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE