Knife prices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've been looking around for knife prices a bit, and maybe some of you can help me out.
The mora frost has been a great knife so far but I'm looking for an upgrade, actually Im looking for a knife that simply looks better... I know, it should be all about the functionality but hey, looks are important too. The main problem though is that I seem to run from the mora frost price (around what 12 pounds?) through a big empty space of nothing and then the good knives start at over 100 pounds... Now I can imagine that somebody who makes his knife by hand wants to earn a living but comon, there has to be a cheaper solution? Im not looking for a collectors item but a functional good working knife. Is there any bushcraftknife type out there that has a reasonable pricetag?

Serously, this is not meant to be disrespectfull to the craftsmen and women that create some of those amazing knifes but there must be a cheaper solution?

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Helle Harding.

Almost the same blade profile, which is pretty much optimal, IMveryHO.

The metal is one of these "sandwich" types, which seems to hold the edge better than a Frosts.

Comfortable wooden handle which is nicely shaped so you know which way round it is in the dark.

"Locking" sheath.

Mind you, it doesn't cast very good sparks from a ferro rod.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi there and welcome to BCUK.

Loads to choose from really, I would suggest looking at knives from the following makers;
Helle, Karesuando, Kellam, Brusletto, Lappi and Iisakki.

There must be loads more options but thats a start :)

Have delt with the following companies and had good service..........

http://www.attacc.com/index.html

http://www.jls-wednesbury.org/index.html

http://www.heinnie.com/cgi-bin/heinnie_store/web_store.cgi?page=FRATOTAB/knives.htm&cart_id=

It's worth keeping an eye out over on British Blades as theres some great bargains to be had over there and the sales section here on BCUK too.

Before you part with any cash though don't be to hasty to write off your mora, in terms of performance at least, you may well get something that looks nicer for the extra cash but the humble mora will do just about everything you need a bushcraft knife to do.

If however you've got the taste for nice shiny sharp things........:rolleyes: go for it.:D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been looking around for knife prices a bit, and maybe some of you can help me out.
The mora frost has been a great knife so far but I'm looking for an upgrade, actually Im looking for a knife that simply looks better... I know, it should be all about the functionality but hey, looks are important too. The main problem though is that I seem to run from the mora frost price (around what 12 pounds?) through a big empty space of nothing and then the good knives start at over 100 pounds... Now I can imagine that somebody who makes his knife by hand wants to earn a living but comon, there has to be a cheaper solution? Im not looking for a collectors item but a functional good working knife. Is there any bushcraftknife type out there that has a reasonable pricetag?

Serously, this is not meant to be disrespectfull to the craftsmen and women that create some of those amazing knifes but there must be a cheaper solution?
spend as much or as little as you like, from £13 to £200. they are all on this site. I've used them and they are top. knife heaven

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Here you go, knife depot in Germany. They have some nice Jap stuff

http://www.messerdepot.de/index.php

Main menu translation

Angebote = offers
Messer = knives
Kochmesser D = German Cookery knives
Keramikmesser = ceramic knives
Japanische Jagdmesser = Jap Hunting knives
Messer zubehor = knife accessories
Neuheiten 2007 = New stuff 2007
Friseur bedarf = barbers kit
Scheren - manicure = self explanatory
Restposten = other items
Werkzeug tools = tools
sammlermesser = collectors knives
Schwerte & Schilde = swords & shields

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
.. Or you might consider a kit. From around £40 upwards - all you have to do is assemble it yourself.......

ATB

Ogri the trog

That's a good idea and something that I've considered but not got round to doing.

Similarly you could get a good blade for £30-£50 and put a handle on it yourself. It's not as difficult as it sounds and you will end up with a knife that is perfect for your hands.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Erm - I may be putting my foot in it here but I review an awful lot of knives for my magazine columns and one of my hobbies is making knives, mainly buying in blades and making the handles and sheaths. Naturally I end up with more knives than I ever could use - so I flog on some of the ones I make.
I am not trying to advertise (a local shop takes all I make) but I USE FROSTS MORAS FOR A LOT OF THE WORK I DO MAKING THE HOBBY KNIVES!
Moras are bril - especially at the price in the site shop (plug, plug) - and I have used several as source blades for customization projects...
The blades take an awful lot of beating, so why not stick with your Mora and beautify it, either by replacing the practical but not so pretty sheath (there is a great thread on making a leather Mora sheath) or/and replacing the handle with a custom wood one.
Both are great little projects with lots of advice already on this site (use that often forgotten "search" button...) and you too could become a knife making junkie!
The knives are so inexpensive that it hardly matters if you try reshaping a blade and muck it up.
Moras - I love them! (especially the carbon blades)
I would post some pickies but photobucket is down!

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Iisakki Puukko would be the next price level £30 (ish)
DSC00222.jpg

Then around £50 (ish) the Helle Eggen is a great knife
441_4110_1a.jpg

or there is a lot to be said for the Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V
IMG_6099.jpg

Plenty of custom knives around sub £100, check over on British Blades.
Kit's or just buy a blade are a great way to get a unique knife that you can taylor to your own requirements and putting a knife together yourself is a very rewarding project.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Hi and welcome.

Yep, there are lots of cheaper solutions, but they wont be custom made. If you order a fairly basic custom knife, the materials can run to say £30. Then there is the shaping and grinding of the steel (or possily forging), the belts for the grinder that get wortn or the gas or charcoal for the forge. Then there is the shaping and molding of the handle, the glue, the rivets or bolts, then leather for the sheath, waxes, dyes and thread ...but lets just look at time, if someone charges just a little over minimum wage, say £5 per hour and puts 12 hours in, that's another £60. If you want a custom knife, you can expect to pay at least £100 unless someone is working for below minimum wage.

If you want to spend less than that, then you will either have to buy a knife made by machine, or a handmade knife from a country where labour is extremely cheap.

First off, thanks for all the replies.
Its been very helpfull and given some more insight into the costs of knife making. I'm still a bit stuck between two really nice choices, the Helle Eggen seems a good choice with a lot of beaty and I did see that 40 pound do it yourself kit , which might indeed make a good project. Making the knife myself would add a lot of extra emotional value though I fear I'll muck it up. Now if I could only remember who sells it...

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Bought one of the affore mentioned at Attleborough's (web address above). I'm not an expert in such things but this is a really nice knife, good to hold and very sharp. See thread on british blades for piccy's.

I bought one too, but I have to say it didn't become my favourite.

Here is a excert from a mini-review.

>>
I’d spent ages researching this knife and was sure it would match my requirements perfectly. Maybe I got a bad example, who knows. Not only was the knife not shaving sharp out of the box, the edge wasn’t even straight. Nor is the bevel in the middle of the blade. And the sheath wasn’t a great fit either and seemed to be made of a kind of plasticised leather. Still, I sharpened the blade up and used it. The bevel being off centre doesn’t really matter much, but the steel seemed to deform when cutting harder woods like seasoned beech. This is either a consequence of poor steel or because the bevel angle is very acute. This gives a very wide bevel which is easy to sharpen, which is just as well. Over time I took it less and less into the woods, leaving it in the garage where it served as a kind of mini plane. One very nice feature was the handle, which was stacked leather.
>>

I'm no expert, but if I lost all my knives and had to buy one again, the Helle Harding would still be my choice.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Shing is always a good bet for a blade or kit.

I was gonna mention Shing myself ;)

I'm waiting on a Shing 'Baby Bushy' blade which I'll handle myself then send off to get a sheath made up.

£30 for the blade
£20 for the sheath
£5 for postage there and back.

That's £55 in total for a good quality small bushy knife. :)

I cant wait. :D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Aye the baby bushy is a nice wee blade and great value for money.

Mine is #1 with a scandi grind (bottom of pic)

DSC00238.jpg

Jurjen don't worry about mucking it up, it's not difficult if you take you time and there are plenty of tutorials around to guide you.

law

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
north wales
hi rapidboy could you please tell me is the top blade in your pic a shing made blade?
i really like the style wot its dims how much was it etc if you dont mind me asking
many thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE