Knife No 2 - my first full tang.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Hello everyone.

Over the last few days I have bee at the knife making thing again. THe first knife I handled was a stick tang, but wanted to have a go at a full tang.

I purchased this Mora blade, pretty much because it was the only full tang blank I could find (other than a few damascus ones).
Knife.jpg

Its a 3mm thick, 30mm cutting edge, Sandvik 12C27 steel knife. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I thought it would do for a start. I handled it with American Cherry Wood, red fibre liners (which became bvery, very dark after oiling the handle) and brass/stainless loveless rivets (and of course some araldite)

Anyway, here is the result!
DSC_0061-1.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

I'm quite happy with the outcome. I modified the blank a bit (some before, and some after getting the scales on), namely making it into a more classic woodie type drop point which also removed the rounded spine of the origional (which wouldn't throw sparks from a fire steel), rounded off the finger guard which was a bit too large, and also tried to remove the blunt ricasso that had an odd little bit poking out from the belly before the sharp edge began. Oh and also put a full scandi on it, removing the single sided secondary bevel.

I'm also lucky that it fits extremely snuggly in the sheath that came with my A Wright Woodie clone which I am currently making a new sheath for (as this sheath does not fit the A Wright at all well)
DSC_0060.jpg

Here it is alongside my 4" 4mm A Wright woodie clone and Ben Orford 3 1/2" 4mm Woodsman for comparison.
DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

After this project I fully understand why custom knives from makers cost what they do - the materials aren't too cheap to start with (I went for the cheapest I could here and meterials without postage would be somewhere around the £25-30 mark) and they are a complete labour to produce. Mine has many flaws which are no doubt inexperience. They hopefully wont alter the function of the knife, but they are not the kind of thing you accept when you pay top dollar for a sharp.

Anyway, she's custom fitted to my hand, comfy to hold (hopefully to use too) and very sharp. I'm sure she'll be a fine user!

Thanks for looking.

Colin

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Very nice indeed,that Orford is a stunner.
Cheers, the Orford is a beuty. Picked it up quite reasonably second hand on here. Not put her through her paces yet but I'm sure she will be everything I dreamed she would and more.

That looks great,liking that alot.
excellent job mate.
Very nice indeed!

THanks guys. Means a lot coming from you Nektarios, what with the pieces of art you produce! (not that it means any less coming from you Wulf!)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have one of these blanks i picked up at the blade show, not got round to doing it yet but seeing yours you have inspired me mate.
take care.
lee.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
You have done a grand job there Colin, when I see things like this it always inspires me to have a go. Like you say its a learning curve and little quirks here and there make this unique to your blades. This has got me thinking about having a go at my own.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
You have done a grand job there Colin, when I see things like this it always inspires me to have a go. Like you say its a learning curve and little quirks here and there make this unique to your blades. This has got me thinking about having a go at my own.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Neat job chap :)
i have one of these blanks i picked up at the blade show, not got round to doing it yet but seeing yours you have inspired me mate.
take care.
lee.

Thanks guys. DO have a go Geordie, its pretty satisfying - and you get a unique custom knife at the end for relatively cheap! (If I had to add labour hours this its value would be at least £90 at minimum wage rate including materials)

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....very well done m8....i know exactly what you went through....i remember in my first knife-post that i offered up the same respect to knife makers....it is tough....even with power tools...its unforgiving....leather is mostly a makers friend once familiar....knives are not....they seem begrudging of the love you try to give lol....ive made three now and my pants needed changing after each one lolol! i too, like lee, have one of these....was recently given to me by my good friend richardw....i'll be starting on it asap....hope i do it a similar justice...

much respect....

a.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE