Knife Making Tutorial on Evil Bay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Forgive me if I'm being thick but isn't this the tutorial that was published in the latest issue of "Bushcraft & Survival Skills"?

Why would you pay £6 for something thats an article in a magazine costing £4.95?

Not that I would pay anything for it after reading the article..sorry but anything that advises quenching a red hot piece of 01 steel in a narrow glass bottle filled almost to the brim with oil should be avoided IMHO!
As for tempering, that should be done in the oven..at a known temp for a set period of time! Soft -back drawing is not really something to be attempted by a first timer much better to go with an even temper to achieve an overall Rockwell count of 58-59.
Knife making as enjoyable as it is, is not without it's perils and although the guide obviously works for the author ...I personaly wouldn't follow parts of it!

There's all the information you need to make your own knife available free on BB!

Last edited:

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
WOW! 130 views and no replies!
Does everybody else know something I don't? Is this where I find out that the seller / author is a really popular long standing member here and thats why nobody has commented or have I just started a crap thread? ( wouldn't be the first time!)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'll reply, just to make you feel better. :D

I just look at it and see it as someone trying to take advantage of people but then someone may be quite happy to spend that dosh (for the correct info though)

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Cheers Stew!
I was beginning to think I'd have to go & stand in the naughty corner!
I tend to agree with your comment as well.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ebay will sell what people are willing to buy, be it, bottled welsh air, a tin of sawdust, or mushrooms picked for free, and sold at a pound a pop. It really is Caveat emptor (buyer beware)

I refrained from replying yesterday on the grounds that I was grumpy and was therefore likely to be
a. Rude
b. Unreasonable
c. Banned

As Tadpole says, caveat emptor.

That said, an anecdote springs to mind...

There was an instance a couple of years ago where someone was selling, on the bay of Evil, a "cure for Surfs smoking when under load".

This was supposedly all the parts and instructions needed to stop your Toyota Surf from smoking under load, improve fuel consumption and low rev torque etc etc.

And so it did...

It was a ball bearing of the right size to block the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve and stop it operating, as it is not required to pass emissions tests in the UK. It didn't, IIRC, mention that this only worked on 2nd generation engines, and predictably, didn't mention that the information was available for free.

Possibly not unreasonably, the hive-mind at the Surf forum took exception to this, and diverse actions were taken - to whit, questions were asked on the sales page of the type, "Why do you use a ball bearing when a cable tie around the EGR pipe is quicker and easier?" and, "Why are you selling this when the information is available for free on the UK and Oz Surf forums?"
A competing listing was also placed, advertising the information only required to stop your Surf smoking, with a BuyNow price of £0.00, and the information was emailed to buyers.

The original seller protested vociferously and fruitlessly, as all was done within the rules ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE