Knife making competition 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Shes actually up for it, she wants to use the opportunity to learn how to set gemstones into steel and inlay the wood with silver... Watch out guys...me included :D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
:lmao: Shes good at what she does. I might have to watch how she does it all and then nick some ideas...and some silver. :D

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I'll get Rach to have a go too :) I'll guide her through making her own blade, though knowing her she will be a weed and run from the sparks :D

I'm not a weed :p

Well as it seems I've already been volunteered, I guess I'll give this a go. Who knows, I might have made my own before Mr Squishy get's on and actually makes me the one he started for my bday.. :p

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Shameless Plug..... For anyone entering this comp i'll do a discount on blades should anyone want one to keep the costs within the limit. Can also supply handle materials and pins too :)

:D

Funny you should say that, I was about to make the same offer! :pirate: I can do shameless plugs too :p

Within budget I can do forged finished, ground/shiny and laminated blades (all depending on size and style ofcourse).

Also I have several group knifemaking courses and private tuition throughout the year, should anybody want to persue that avenue ;)

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
20130129_104407.jpg20130129_111049.jpg20130129_111843.jpg20130129_114207.jpg

Right - on the basis that if I dont get the ball rolling quickly it wont happen I have made a start - I know keen hey.

I sketched out very roughly a couple of designs and then realised that I had some steel from a folding knife i had made a while back but it was only 25mm wide. I kept with a similar concept for the shape which i suppose is grohmann esque in it layout, although I hadnt set out with that in mind, and scaled the original idea down to fit what i had.

I now need to make some decisions on the pin type and placement and also see if it will suit a lanyard tube, I have some mahogany that i might use for the handle or a piece of seasoned yew that might fit the purposes.

Now for some advice requests :) .......

I have seen before on here (possibly by FYGT) a very good explanation of grind height and angles on the various thickness of blade ( this is 3 mm ) but I cant find it. Can anyone advise a good angle and height for a 3mm blade.

Again another thread i cant find on making your own corby bolts - i think it was using m6 bolts. Anyone got any advice on this.

I will put the costs together of what this has cost when i make the decisions on the handles,liners etc.

Thanks guys and any advice gratefully received.

Jonathon.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Funny you should say that, I was about to make the same offer! :pirate: I can do shameless plugs too :p

Within budget I can do forged finished, ground/shiny and laminated blades (all depending on size and style ofcourse).

Also I have several group knifemaking courses and private tuition throughout the year, should anybody want to persue that avenue ;)

Excellent.......think I might be entering with another blade from Mr Budd then......:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Why not :D

Are you entering too Dave?

Not sure yet. I could easily make a knife for less than £50 (even factoring in the greatest expense that is fuel). The question then is, if I do, what to make? Obviously I can't just make 'a knife', that would be too simple :D

So, IF I do enter, shall I make:

A) a knife with as little total cost as possible (recycled steel, free wood, homemade charcoal fuel, etc)

or

B) a knife that comes in at £50 of materials (though it comes to £65 including the sheath according to the rules)

I'd only be entering for fun, not to win, so don't expect me to make a sinsible knife (or take it at all seriously!) :nana:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Blimey!
If everyone who has posted makes a knife it's going to be like House of Flying Daggers round here.
Should be good.
Simon

N

Nomad

I have seen before on here (possibly by FYGT) a very good explanation of grind height and angles on the various thickness of blade ( this is 3 mm ) but I cant find it. Can anyone advise a good angle and height for a 3mm blade.

Grind height and angle are interrelated. For a given thickness, one can be worked out from the other using trig. Calculations based on right-angled triangles are done using SOH-CAH-TOA. For this, TOA can be used - TOA means "the tangent of the angle is equal to the opposite divided by the adjacent". The opposite is the length of the side of the imagined r/a triangle that is opposite the angle we want to find, and the adjacent is the length of the side that meets the angle we want to find. The opposite and adjacent are the two sides that have the right angle between them.

We know the opposite - it's half the thickness of the blade. What needs to be decided is whether we start with a grind height to get an angle, or start with an angle to get a grind height.

I'm not a knife maker, but I would have thought that it's desirable to have a certain amount of meat behind the cutting edge to make it less likely to chip, but not too much so that it can still cut and slice. If we assume an overall angle of 20°, the grind height can be calculated, but we need to transpose the formula (which, as 'TOA', is set up to find the angle from two known sides).

It starts with Tan = Opp / Adj

We know Opp (opposite) and we know Tan (tangent of angle), and we want Adj (grind height).

When transposed, it becomes Adj = Opp / Tan

We need the half angle to work with a r/a triangle, so our angle is 10°. The tangent of this is 0.176. To get the grind height, divide the half-thickness by the tangent...

1.5 / 0.176 = 8.5mm

On my woody copy, I get a grind height of about 8.4mm (measuring along the flat surface of the blade - not along the sloping part of the grind). It's 4mm thick, giving a half thickness of 2mm. To find the angle on this knife...

Tan = Opp / Adj
Tan = 2 / 8.4
Tan = 0.238

To get the half angle, find the arctangent of 0.238, which my trusty calculator tells me is 13.39°. A full angle of very nearly 27°.

If you wanted to use that same angle on a 3mm blade (to get a similar amount of meat behind the edge), you'd do...

Adj = Opp / Tan
Adj = 1.5 / 0.238
Adj = 6.3mm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE