Knife Makers Marking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Hi - I'm hoping I've posted this in the right location!

I've now produced about 8 or so bushcraft knifes and learning rapidly with each one I make. I would really like to mark them with a personal logo but yet to find a good way to do this. I've tried the car battery/salt water method where I carve a logo into electrical tape but the end result is erm a little heath robinson. I then moved to purchasing an 'Electro Etching kit (some £350!) and again the end result is poor quality and not to mention the actual production of the logo with their U.V light onto their film material, complete waste of money and really not recommended.

I'm struggling to find within the UK a source that could produce a metal stamp to mark 01 Tool Steel - so that's it I am out of ideas. Given there are so many individual knife makers here in BCUK I would so very much appreciate any help/guidance.

Cheers,
DF

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thanks a lot HillBill for the feedback this is very much appreciated! -I was feeling quite demoralized by this given the time/effort & cost wasted so far. Thanks once again ;-)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No worries mate.

I've got an etch stencil maker and etching machine too, an Etch-o-matic. They take a bit of getting used to... i can do the stencils ok, but the etcher is too big.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thats the baby I bought HB (by the way cracking website/knives you have). I must be getting the timing wrong under the U.V or something as when I get to 'gently rub' the stencil in the developer solution the effort to remove the film to reveal the logo just causes so many creases I just give up - its now gathering dust, I guess it'll go on eBay at some point.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
before you go off the idea of the battery/vinegar/salt idea.....get a few small stickers made by someone with a vinyl cutting machine. get them reversed, so the outline or wording you want is the steel and the vinyl the background. then etch, the difference is 1,000,000% different.

you're welcome!

M

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Interesting thanks M - can't say I've heard of a vinyl cutting machine, will google. I have heard that you can buy logo's from the U.S but there's a minimum bulk order requirement, tho to be honest the steel stamp route seems so much more straight forward.

Cheers,
DF

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Did you remove the mylar? :D I know what you're saying though... took me a while to suss, and i messed one up the other day. couldn't get the etchant through it to mark the metal. I have heard that the stencil material you get with them is carp, and you can buy thicker material which works much better.

Thats the baby I bought HB (by the way cracking website/knives you have). I must be getting the timing wrong under the U.V or something as when I get to 'gently rub' the stencil in the developer solution the effort to remove the film to reveal the logo just causes so many creases I just give up - its now gathering dust, I guess it'll go on eBay at some point.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That takes a bit of getting used to too. Best way i've found is to have your blade on a flat bit of metal... i use a steel billet i swiped from my last engineering job.. and out you stamp where you want it... just let it rest there, don't hold it... then give it a whack with a lump hammer... the stamp will bounce away a bit after you hit it and you get a good clean stamp. If i try hold it, i daren't hit it as hard, and it likes to double stamp. So i don't bother. Whack and duck :D

Interesting thanks M - can't say I've heard of a vinyl cutting machine, will google. I have heard that you can buy logo's from the U.S but there's a minimum bulk order requirement, tho to be honest the steel stamp route seems so much more straight forward.

Cheers,
DF

I have a Etcher made by Stew lights Brother (I think) a few years back

and finally got round to getting a stencil I got one made by these guys cost £40 ish includes sorting artwork charge replacements are £8 ish
good for a few 1000 etches

http://www.etchmark.co.uk/products_solutions/electrolytic_access.htm

recommended by Lucky Lee
he has the posh Etcher and all the right solutions

but my salt one works ok

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
That takes a bit of getting used to too. Best way i've found is to have your blade on a flat bit of metal... i use a steel billet i swiped from my last engineering job.. and out you stamp where you want it... just let it rest there, don't hold it... then give it a whack with a lump hammer... the stamp will bounce away a bit after you hit it and you get a good clean stamp. If i try hold it, i daren't hit it as hard, and it likes to double stamp. So i don't bother. Whack and duck :D

Whack & duck - been there a few times lol... cheers mate for the feedback, it's definitely the preferred solution for me ;-)

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Fgypt - great, appreciate you taking the time to feedback, will certainly have a look at the stencils, for me so far it is them that I tend to b**ger up :-(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE