knife law changes in Northern Island

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I love this bit "and it is looking at other items like Samurai swords which may be added to the list of offensive weapons." may be added! :lmao:

Cheers,

Alan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"Having a knife in a public place or on school premises"

Thats school dinners out the window then :rolleyes: with that and Jamies influence they are doomed,,,, NOT to mention the Happy Eater !:eek:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
another knee jerk reaction! over 90% of knife attacks and fatalities occur with a kitchen knife! bdooly rediculous!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
"cover any implement that has a blade or point or that may be deemed as an offensive weapon".
Well that is scredrivers, scisors, razors, pens, pencils and the likes out thanks to points and blades and as to the bit I've put in bold, cricket bats, bunches of keys, credit cards, rolled up newspapers, in fact its harder to think of things that couldn't be deemed an offensive weapon depending on the circumstances! And unless the offesive weapons law in NI is different you already can be nicked for anything at all you are intending to use as an offensive weapon but this wording implies anything that could be used is going to land you in trouble.
Hope some enterprising copper arrests the minister for the biro in his pocket, maybe that will get across to him what a daft statement he made!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Interesting, lets change the knife laws, in the only part of the UK, where the Police carry guns, and the chances of the locals complaining is almost nil.

Any one would think I was getting cynical.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I believe that the article has simply tried to condense a lot of info into a short article. The change seems to be in two areas.

1 That if you are caught with a knife or offensive weapon in the wrong circumstances you will get a helftier sentence, double!

2 That they are looking at licensing places where knives are sold like guns and fireworks are here. (not so sure about this!)

You have to remember that glorious N.I. has different laws than the rest of GB. However the laws that they are referring to and the offenses listed are already in force under the Knives Act or the Criminal Justice Act and have been for years. Both are derived from English law with changes for N.I.

The laws around advertising refer to the marketing of knives in relation to 'combat' etc, not for other purposes. So no dramas about advertising pen knives unless you market them for violent purposes.

The Knives Act refers to blades or points of particular sizes. Im not going to go into that now as it would take ages and i have wittered on long enough. British Blades and threads on this site give good advice.

For clarification, as stated ANYTHING can be an offensive weapon:eek: But it has to be in the right circumstance. An offensive weapon is anything Made (like a knuckle duster), Adapted (Like a stick with nails hammered into the end), or Intended (like a knife or a biro) for causing injury to the person.

Remember there are defenses to carrying a knife in the right circumstances and remember I know a bit about the law in NI but don't take everything above as gospel.

Above all be sensible and safe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE