Knife handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have noticed that most of the knives show on these threads has no finger guard on the bottom of the hanle/blade joint. Is it a regional style or function? I have to apply a good force to piece a hide to start the skinning process and would certainly have slid my hand up the blade if my knife had no guard.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Up until a few years ago, almost every knife I've owned, folders aside, had guards of some kind on them. Heck, even had an old Marbles folding safety hunter in primo condition, that had a guard on it. That was a nice blade for it's 60+ years.

You got some tough skin to push that knife through. The little blacktails around these parts don't require much pressure to penetrate their skin and the knife work is minimal. The last one I took, the Mora 2000 got the duty. In fact, it took care of the field dressing, skinning and butchering. It's a dandy field knife, no doubt about it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Carcajou Garou said:
I have noticed that most of the knives show on these threads has no finger guard on the bottom of the hanle/blade joint. Is it a regional style or function? I have to apply a good force to piece a hide to start the skinning process and would certainly have slid my hand up the blade if my knife had no guard.

It is very likely a regional influence of the north European styles of knife. For me at least, the knife that is on my belt is the one I use the majority of time. That is not to say that I'll use it for everything - I'll have other cutting tools for when the situation dictates. But because it lives in a sheath on your belt, you want it to be secure - and for that style of knife, it means a deep sheath (with the cold conditions precludeing most forms of press-stud fastener by necessitating thick gloves). Larger knives with guards or axes and saws would be carried in a pack and be there when you need them but it wouldn't be practical to carry them on the belt.

Sorry for the rambling reply.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE