Knife Composition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is most important in a bushcraft knife

• A nice well shaped handle from a favourite material

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A good steel well hardened and tempered in a blade shape that you like

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I'd say both of those options, I don't think a super comfy handle made from a beautiful piece of wood would make much difference if your blade couldn't hold an edge or do the cutting tasks you needed to do and I don't think even the best blade in the world would be very fun to use if the handle gave you blisters. Of course I don't have that many knives so I guess I'm just limiting myself by wanting the best of everything.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I didn't pick either one, since I believe the whole package is what counts: No good having a great handle with a blade made of toffee and vice versa.

What I can say is that over the course of the last 2-3 years, I have owned and used a couple of 'Woodlore clones' and as a result my thoughts about my favourite format of knife have come, if not full circle, then certainly most of the way.

I find that I have definitely not been converted into an advocate of Mr Mears thinking, that a finger guard is simply an obstruction. If a knife is well designed it is easy to choke-up on the blade, with your forefinger on the blade side of the guard, when the need arises. At other times, for example when you are cold, wet, numb, tired, not concentrating or hands are slippery with blood or fish mucus (what's the proper name for that stuff?), you'll be glad that the guard is doing it's job, probably without you even knowing it. Likewise a thumb ramp, or upper guard, just makes a knife feel more comfortable in my hand.

Blade wise, I feel the Woodie clones have far more to offer than they do in the handle department. The spear point profile with scandi grind is certainly a nice strong format and has less belly than many other styles - which is something that I prefer. However, an even better profile, in my opinion - and this is all very subjective of course - is the clip point. It's similar to one of the Frost variants, (the Clipper?),and it's also very similar to many bowie knives.

This is where the 'coming full circle' part comes in. For my primary consideration in a knife I would be looking at the whole package, not the handle or the blade, but both and if it had to be 'off the shelf' as opposed to commissioning one, then my recent experiences with the Woodie clones has convinced me that I would probably revert back to the good old bowie knife. NO!! Not the Rambo style monstrosities that were around in the '80's, but a discrete 4 - 5 inch blade version, with a full tang, ergonomically shaped upper and lower finger guards, sabre type grind for strength and the upper 'false edge' left unsharpened.

Ironically, with the changes in knife fashions and all that, you may not see that many decent ones on the shelves these days.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
What is the primary consideration when you consider the purchase of a knife?

WHY?

Just like a good woman.
The initial look. (Don't judge, book cover....we all do it)
Gorgeous curves.
How well do those curves fit into my hand.
Is the object of my desire put together in all the right places.
Are those elegant finishing touches present.
Will it stand the test of time and be by my side till death us do part.
If I am still caressing said object of desire after 5 minutes and my pupils are dilated then I have to make it mine......

We are talking knives? Yes? :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Both of the above. One isn't much good without the other IMO.

Couldn't agree more, a rubbish handle can make a rubbish knife as a rubbish blade can. One of the reasons why I like buying blades and making my own handle, fewer variables I have to trust someone else's judgement on!

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE