Knife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
During my time as a hobbyist knife maker I have noticed a lot of misleading as to what’s what when it comes to knives.

I think it is understandable as a lot of what is written in books and on the web is based on the writers’ preference rather than the truth about the type of tool. And sometimes it is a hypothetical basis that when put to the test does not hold up. Some of it is even bad experience of a poorly manufactured tool that puts people of that kind of tool for good.

I will attempt to use quotes from well respected knife makers where I find it necessary.

First up is using knives to make sparks from fire steels. Two things go wrong here. Firstly people refer to ferrocium rods as fire steels.

A fire steelis a piece of hard carbon steel that you strike flint against to produce sparks. if you have a carbon steel knife then your knife can be used instead of the steel to produce sparks with flint. This does not work with stainless knives.

Ferrocium or "Ferro" rods are alloyed metals which when scraped with something hard and sharp produce sparks. It does not matter what you use as long as it is hard with a square edge capable of shaving the rod. If you use your knife it does not matter if it is stainless or carbon. (the spine just needs for be hard and square)

Second misconception = tangs.

I often hear that a knife must be full tang to be strong.

I think this misconception comes from bad experience of poorly made partial tangs and an imagined "it must be stronger because there is more metal"

As a hobbyist knife maker I have to say I have seen more well made full tangs fail than well made partial tangs, why?

On a full tang there is more exposed metal where the handle slabs meet the tang. If that area gets damaged or wet for a long period of time then moisture can get in. What’s more if you do get a slight lifting the glue seal tends to be ruined.

Any flex in a full tang handle will result in the scale lifting, after a period of time.
So to counteract this the steel tends to be thicker to limit the amount of flex in the tang, they also don't tend to have the tang spring tempered (which makes it less likely to snap under force) because more movement as said above helps the scale to lift.

So to summarize weakness in full tang is the scale lifting, Solution is thicker steel and harder less flexible tang.

Stick tang's tend to fail mostly if they are made poorly. If bolster has a poor fit. but we can ignore this because that is common to both full tang and stick tang. we are talking about well made tools.

Second area a stick tang tends to fail is the transition between the blade and tang snapping. I have never seen this unless the steel had a large grain structure, the tang was too hard, the tang was too thin, or the transition of the tang to blade was too square. Again all these things are due to poorly thought out and made tools.

A third area I’ve seen is tang coming through the handle during heavy use, again this is either due to poor handle to tang fit, or weak handle material.

So to summarize great tang debate, In my opinion well made partial tangs are superior to well made full tangs. Because a full tang has to compensate for its weaknesses by being overly thick. Whereas a partial tangs only weakness is if its poorly made.

I have found these quote's for master smith Wayne Goddard’s book $50 knife shop.

" another factor to consider is the fact that the narrow-tang knife is a sealed unit compared to the slab handles affixed to a full tang"

"there is no doubt in my mind that there are fewer things that can go wrong with a properly constructed narrow tang knife"

"over the years I have had less trouble with narrow tang handles than with full tang versions. That’s why it's my opinion that when properly constructed the narrow tang is the strongest and most foolproof handle. it must be done right or it may not be any better than a full tang model. My opinion is also based on the most severe test of tang strength that I have been able to devise. I drove the point of a knife through a 2x4 board by pounding the pommel cap with a 4 pound hammer. The knife had a wire Damascus blade, micarta handle with a steel guard and pommel cap. The properly constructed narrow tang will withstand this type of abuse. I’d never try it with a slab handle full tang knife" Wayne Goddard $50 knife shop

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I will do some research about carbon and stainless steel properties and that is another often mislead area of tool making and will post in this post

Just to bore you more ;)

Stainless Verses Carbon.

I would like to clear this up as i hear on forums so much false information in the stainless versus carbon debate.

Two things i would like to say, knife quality carbon steel is usually tougher and harder to break than stainless steel. Stainless steel usually has better wear resistance that carbon steel.

The above aren't always true however.

Now for the things i often hear that are false.

Carbon can get a sharper edge than stainless steel

Completely false

I believe this is often said because stainless may be harder to sharpen.

If you dont believe me send me some stainless and some carbon steel and i will sharpen them both so that you cannot tell the difference. It may be hardened or not hardened it matters not:eek:

They will still get sharp (although they may not stay that way long)

When loooking for a carbon steel the optimum amount is a about 1% to be tough enough for a knife and hold e decent edge. Start going more and the toughness decreases and edge holding becomes better. Unless it is a big knife i wouldnt want any less than 0.7% carbon and if it is a big knife id rather go down the hardness scale than carbon scale.

(these are only guidelines and different alloys affect the steel differently)

Stainless steel is called so if the chromium content is 14% or more. But other factors account for how stainless it will be (such as the carbon content, finish)

If your after a saltwater environment knife then go to a specialized knife forum and ask opinions there.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask and if i am able i will help out as best i can.

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Shinken

Personally I don't find this boring at all.

I make no pretence to being a knife maker, but can make some verifable claims to being a knife user.

I'm never ceased to be amazed at the amount of misconceptions (some would say BS) that gets repeated as fact across the internet.

I for one welcome a studied analysis of some of the common ideas about knives that are out there :D

Who knows, it just might stimulate debate :beerchug:

Kind regards
Mick

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have little or no knowledge on the subject other than as a user. Alll I can say is that my puukko that Shinken made is a truly startling example - indeed the nices puukko I have ever handled. I've abused lumps out of it - from planing down a stuck barn door to hammering it into a tree stump and pulling withies across the blade.

It just keeps coming back for more

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Thanks Red that is comforting news. I am really pleased it is working for you.

It was my second prototype and i now make the grind a bit thinner. Did you thin the grind down?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what a great thread...........

im a very basic knife maker/begginer and think the same when it comes to tangs....

i also found all my info came from trial and error and practical advise from makers on BB forum.........

when it came to the heat treating is where i had problems but have since finished my first blade which is like a razor....he he he........chuffed....

im starting another blade this week but need to make a more practical forge....my last design is to deep and not wide enough (charcoal forge)

i have what i want it to be like in my head and its totaly differant to the one i made first....all this info has come from my exsperiance which has been worth the hassle as i now will be able to make a much better product.....

thanks for thr thread and keep up the good work......chris......

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We can never have enough threads like this goodjob As for the firesteel problem, you can blame Light My Fire for that as they brand theirs as such. I remember when we all used to call them Fireflashes.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The way i see it is this.

If you are using a knife and not abusing it then both wont let you down. If you abuse either a fair bit then theres a good chance you will damage both.

But lets look at it fairly.

Stick tang knives withstand lateral ( side to side) pressure better as the handle material braces it up more than a full tang. Yet it will be weaker in the blade to lateral forces than a full tang will as like shinken says full tangs are thicker.

Full tang knives withstand vertical forces better as the pressure is taken on the full width of the steel, stick tangs are part steel part wood. Not possible for a stick tang to be stronger this way than a full tang.

Simply a full tang is stronger, but there is less chance of having handle issues with a stick tang. Flexible glue on the FTs resolve this issue for the most part anyway ;)

The scales may pop off on a FT ( not seen it happen though) but the knife can still be used if they do, if a stick tang fails then theres less chance of it being useable if your out and about.

But at the end of the day, if you pop the scales from a FT then your abusing it, same as if you damage ST, it will have happened through abuse.

So i would say it makes no difference to users, and abusers will damage both eventually.

But a stick tang is definately not stronger overall its mathematically impossible.It is just a more resistant to handle issues. Yet the worse for any handle issues.

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Interesting response mate

Simply a full tang is stronger, but there is less chance of having handle issues with a stick tang. Flexible glue on the FTs resolve this issue for the most part anyway

But a stick tang is definately not stronger overall its mathematically impossible.It is just a more resistant to handle issues. Yet the worse for any handle issues.

Mathematically it is not, but in my workshop using a hammer i find it very difficult to remove a well made partial tang. whereas it is easy to do so with a full tang.

So in the field a well made partial will on average cause less problems, even though mathmatically the metal part is stronger.

Personally i would take the benefit of a lighter knife that i wont be able to brake in the filed than a heavier knife that i wont be able to brake in the field.

Mathematically a solid metal car with an engine would be virtually indestructible but i wont break a landrover and it will do more miles to the gallon wont sink into the ground and won't be as likely stonel for scrap:lmao:

And a partial tang lack of cold metal on the hand is a bonus too.

But each to there own:)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Exactly. Each to their own. The difference between the two would only be apparent on knives that are stressed too much.

I did crack a handle on a stick tang battoning once, only hairline from the bolster, though that was probably my fault for whacking it through a seasoned oak knot :eek:

You are correct that on average, stick tangs will have less issues if both are well made, but the counter to that is that a stick tang failing renders the knife useless for anything other than light tasks. Where as a failed handle full tang can still be used even with no scales at all, though with less comfort.

So in reality, reliability wise, if both fail the full tang can still be used to similar effect. I think its more a faliure of glue and the result is a more uncomfortable experience, as opposed to not much use at all.

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Yeah your right a knife is a knife and i would use either happily.

Ive tried to take one of my stick tangs apart when i have made a booboo in finishing and i had a big big job with a hammer and chisel. I think it would be impossible for it to fail in the filed.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah your right a knife is a knife and i would use either happily.

Ive tried to take one of my stick tangs apart when i have made a booboo in finishing and i had a big big job with a hammer and chisel. I think it would be impossible for it to fail in the filed.

It would be very unlikely i agree :).

Though i think that over time and continual useage the epoxy can develop loads of little hairline cracks within the handle due to the stresses put on it. I dont think that initial strength would be evident after a couple of years of good use, Everything degrades over time unfortunately, including full tangs. :)

I think these make interesting debates, but ultimately with this issue and the carbon/stainless issue, i really dont think theres that much difference these days with the materials available to knife makers. Its an old argument in new times. Knife style is just preference, more than performance and folk always stand by what they choose. Steel choice only really boils down to where you will be using it. If its wet, take stainless, if its not, take your pick you wont notice the difference.

I use full tangs as thats what i make, i have a couple of scandi knives which i have used plenty and other than the slight crack in one, had no trouble at all, even when battoning. Even the knife with the crack is still strong.

I like to sit on the fence in these debates mostly and see it from a perspective that encompasses facts as opposed to opinion. I'm for nor against either TBH Both are good and do the job.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Though i think that over time and continual useage the epoxy can develop loads of little hairline cracks within the handle due to the stresses put on it. I dont think that initial strength would be evident after a couple of years of good use, Everything degrades over time unfortunately, including full tangs.

I wouldnt call a knife that relies on epoxy as knife that is made as well as it can be.

But as we said it matters not. What does matter to me is a misconception that full tangs are a better design and people guessing that that is what they have to have and that nothing else is any good. Hopefully this thread will address the balance.

What you have said i think is really sensible but there are knife makers who talk up the benefits of full tang knives because they are easier to make.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I wouldnt call a knife that relies on epoxy as knife that is made as well as it can be.

But as we said it matters not. What does matter to me is a misconception that full tangs are a better design and people guessing that that is what they have to have and that nothing else is any good. Hopefully this thread will address the balance.

What you have said i think is really sensible but there are knife makers who talk up the benefits of full tang knives because they are easier to make.

Aye, thats true enough. Any maker who bigs up wares that they dont make though isn't going to do very well :D

I'm in process of making my first scandi as it happens, just a small carver, nothing fancy. Already messed the bolster up twice lol. Just waiting for the motivation for a third attempt :D I'm only using wood too. I'm guessing the rest isnt as tricky as the bolster though?

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I have carlried a knife since 1976, I have had well made full tangs, stick tangs and partial tangs in that time, many of which are more than twenty years old at time of writing. It's safe to say I've used knives more than an average ammount in that time and I've never had a well made knife fail on me regardless of tang.

The moral of this story is, forget about tangs, it makes no odds what-so-ever, just get yourself a well made knife.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
if stick tangs weren't strong enough for hard use they would not be used for such items as billhooks, kukri, parangs, swords, etc...

if you feel the need to batton a knife then you need to get yourself an axe! lazy so and so :rolleyes:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
i have carlried a knife since 1976, i have had well made full tangs, stick tangs and partial tangs in that time, many of which are more than twenty years old at time of writing. It's safe to say i've used knives more than an average ammount in that time and i've never had a well made knife fail on me regardless of tang.

The moral of this story is, forget about tangs, it makes no odds what-so-ever, just get yourself a well made knife.

sums it up pretty well :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE