Knee Pads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
my normal wear is Craghopper Kiwi's I find them perfect for my needs, In the recent weather however they are getting very dirty, sodden and cold on my Knees while Kneeling.

Can anyone suggest a good hard wearing comfortable knee pad or is the best bet just to switch to a set of 5.11 tactical trousers with a knee pad in the trousers.

Any advice will be more than welcome.

Rob

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Have a look in B&Q or another hardware store, they normal have knee pads in. If you get the knee pads you can wear them with any trousers or even shorts, if you get trousers with them built in you are stuck wearing those trousers.

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Thanks guys,

I think I will go with some of the pads you suggested Woden, I prefer the pads to be outside my trousers, keeps my trousers clean and dry as much as possible

Rob

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have a few pairs of trousers with a knee pad pocket which I use mainly for canoeing.

These days I use a pair of Snickers pads in the pockets...

I used to wear knee pads for work and found that the separate pads got on my nerves.The straps slip or dig in and you are constantly adjusting them. In contrast, trousers with a pocket built in need no further attention once the pads are inserted...
Simon

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
my normal wear is Craghopper Kiwi's I find them perfect for my needs, In the recent weather however they are getting very dirty, sodden and cold on my Knees while Kneeling.

Can anyone suggest a good hard wearing comfortable knee pad or is the best bet just to switch to a set of 5.11 tactical trousers with a knee pad in the trousers.

Any advice will be more than welcome.

Rob

R they double at the knees Rob ,if they are what i do is cut a small slit in the top inside of the knee section and cut knee pads yourself out of a cheap closed cell foam matt and insert them works perfect and is cheap ,some brands of knee pads cost £10 and more a closed cell foam matt can be had in the £1 shop and u can have loads of pads !i have been using my first pair for well overa year.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
R they double at the knees Rob ,if they are what i do is cut a small slit in the top inside of the knee section and cut knee pads yourself out of a cheap closed cell foam matt and insert them works perfect and is cheap ,some brands of knee pads cost £10 and more a closed cell foam matt can be had in the £1 shop and u can have loads of pads !i have been using my first pair for well ove ra year.

Sounds like a good idea.

I personally have 5.11s with knee pads and find them quite useful, but because they are inside my trousers do get dirty and scuffed at the knees. The advantage is that you can leave them in and they are more comfortable and less bother than ones you have to strap on. I appreciate some people might be involved in activities were strap on knee pads would be a more sensible option but for me the 5.11 style is the best option.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Sounds like a good idea.

I personally have 5.11s with knee pads and find them quite useful, but because they are inside my trousers do get dirty and scuffed at the knees. The advantage is that you can leave them in and they are more comfortable and less bother than ones you have to strap on. I appreciate some people might be involved in activities were strap on knee pads would be a more sensible option but for me the 5.11 style is the best option.

Take out the original 5.11 knee pads and use them as a template on the closed cell foam mat for spares .i have knee pads for over as well and they are uncomfortable you spend all your time pulling them up and adjusting them.They also really annoy the back of my knees.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I wear Blackhawk trousers a lot which have internal removable pads like the 5.11. Wonderful kit but knees get dirty, cold and scuffed. When I need hardwearing pads I have a pair of ALTA knee pads. Fantastic quality with little slippage or movement even with extended wear. I bought them following a Nutnfancy YouTube review. Love them. Loads better than my last set of pads.

http://www.militaryinsurplus.co.uk/... 2010/Other Items/Alta Knee Pads MultiCam.JPG

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A good common sense reply, no need for 'tactical' trousers, save yourself some £££££££'s and get a pair of pads as suggested from a local garden centre or DIY store.

Here is me modeling my £2.99 Lidl knee pads (the dog on my sleeping bag was not mine but it was too cold for it to sleep with his bash using owner)

DSCF1962Small.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I use knee pads for work, it's a love hate thing.
I only wear them when I have to as they restrict movement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE