KMFS VANTAEDGE INTEGRAL SHARPENER

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
Has anyone used one of these sharpeners and have any feedback on it?
Or have other recommendations for something similar?

To my eternal shame I am only just passable at freehand sharpening and would like something that is quick, effective, repeatable and requires minimal talent or practice to perfect. Wondered if this might be it?

KMFS-VAN-INT__15364.1716901778.1280.1280__59652.1716985381.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Limits you to a minimum of 15dps, which is about 2.5dps steeper than I think you should be sharpening for bushcraft.

Hell of of a lot of money for something that isn't infinitely variable and cannot sharpen a 25 degree edge or less. Or sharpen an axe....and cannot be taken into the field.

"...would like something that is quick, effective, repeatable and requires minimal talent or practice to perfect."

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

"The more you know, the less you carry."

For that kind of money you could get a bunch of great water stones and diamond plates, some cheap knives, and several litres of tea, and just practice till you are less ashamed ;)

Sorry, I can't recommend any of the similar devices. The Worksharp Pro goes down low enough, and perhaps the Wicked Edge will too (or one of the Chinese clones), but I haven't used them. The grits look good in the one you linked. Folk too often don't go coarse enough early on, it can take a long time to re-angle an edge or remove a chip with a 400 or 600 stone!

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There are lots of interesting ideas out there for jigs...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE