Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Karrimor boots and trainers. Bought a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-Safety-Boots-Mens-Honey-/250829773246

Not from that seller via ebay but the exact same boot from Sports Direct shop in Margate Kent. Got them for £24, reduced from £55 or something like that. Very comfy so no compalints about that but after wearing them for about 5 months in total doing light work, granted a lot of it was kneeling, the soles have split across their width, not only that but where they've worn through the sole appears to be a thin rubber sprayed coating over a foam mould, those big chunky grippy soles are not soild rubber at all.

Sadly the trainers I bought the same day have also split and worn through in normal day to day wear and tear. What annoys me is that I am extremely light on shoe wear and can make boots last years normally.

So in my opinion steer clear of this "bargain" I was hoping for so much more from Karrimor.

I go through workboots at that point as I kneel down a lot and bend them at the ball of my feet.
Some people don't bend the foot when kneeling down but they wear the leather toecap covering off.
It doesn't matter if they are expensive or cheap, I get about eight months out of them.
Consequently I just buy cheap boots now.

Sep 14, 2011
Lincolnshire
I think that the Karrimor name has been bought out and its now nothing like the company it was.

Like many once great British brands it is now owned by Sports Direct International and cheaply produced in Asia. They can maintain the brand, despite declining quality as they control so much of the high street. Sports Direct, Field & Trek, 20% of Blacks Leisure Group (Blacks and Millets) and 35% of JJB Sports give them a big arena to push their products.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Like many once great British brands it is now owned by Sports Direct International and cheaply produced in Asia. They can maintain the brand, despite declining quality as they control so much of the high street. Sports Direct, Field & Trek, 20% of Blacks Leisure Group (Blacks and Millets) and 35% of JJB Sports give them a big arena to push their products.

Yeah I here all of that, but I have had a pair of Vibram soled Karrimor Sandals for over a year and they have not let me down yet, they have been more durable than a similar pair of Merrel Sandals that rotted away after too much exposure to the wet stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE