Kit tube from birch bark, thin tortured plywood, or something?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I'm after a light weight cylinder/tube of some kind, but I don't know where to get one.

Wayland has a birch bark container (which opens in both ends) as is shown in this picture (it's the cylinder in the foreground):
http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Small-Camp.jpg

He told me he uses it to carry his fire kit in, but it has got me thinking: I want one like it, only with a bigger diameter and longer.

Alas, it's a ****ty time to go collect birch bark and experiment, so I bought a cylindric cardboard container (with firestarters in it), but it's too small a diameter for what I have in mind:

I want it to be able to have my 1L etapower pot with the small MSR titan pot around the bottom to slide into the tube, is that makes sense, and then have other kitchen gear, spices etc. in bags on top of it.

Although I will be carrying it in my boat, I don't want a thick heavy plywood container, but very thin plywood would be okay. Even cardboard would be fine, as it could be used as a "mold" down the line. Obviously I'd prefer something really nice from birch bark, but as I can't do that right now, and as I think something like that aren't off-the-shelf items, I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can get to a model shop, they sell birch ply that's about 1mm thick. It's lovely stuff and it'll roll around a mould just fine. It glues well with white glue :D I use if for 12th scale models :)

cheers,
Toddy

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Excellent Toddy! We have a model shop in walking distance from our home, so if he has that sort of thing, which I assume he will, I'm all sorted - less than four minutes after posting the question!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
why cant you get birch??? i couldnt get enough of the stuff when i went on a fungus "hunt" a few weeks ago. i only took a little bit but there were whole rotten birch trees laying around all over the place...

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Apparently the bark is not good this time of year to make "stuff" from. I only know from reading about it, but the people who work with the stuff for more than lighting a fire like me, claims it should be collected in the spring when the sap is up.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I want a biggish tube. The cylinder with fire starter cubes - you know, those paraffin/compressed wood thingies - was just a tad too small.

It needs to fit this, with a fitting 600ml msr titanium bowl/pot around the bottom (of the etapower), upping the diameter slightly.

http://backpackinglight.co.uk/product380.asp?PageID=100

The etapower is about 150mm in diameter, so 160 or 165mm internal diameter for the cylinder would be best. I can even live with 20 cm in diameter of the tube, because that would allow me to have a pot cozy fitted while stowed, meaning less clacking.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Aren't they pretty small in diameter? I've never bought a carpet other than the loose variety, so I could be awfully wrong.

I think I have a full afternoon come Monday to drive around, look for thin plywood and thin cylinders that can be used either directly or as a mold in all sorts of places, lol. :D

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Aren't they pretty small in diameter? I've never bought a carpet other than the loose variety, so I could be awfully wrong.

Last time I bought some Lino, I kept the tube as I was looking for something to carry bows/quivers back from Namibia, so it couldn't have been too small..

Saying that though, I've got a fatter tube I 'rescued' from work that's about 18" long but only 125mm inside diameter.. It's pretty heavy duty card (4mm thick) which makes it quite heavy.. and also, being cardboard, it's prone to soaking up moisture from the air. I think modelling Ply is probably your best bet for a custom fit and reasonable strength/weight balance :)

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I don't mind heavy weight, because if it's heavy and thick, it will make for a nice mold for the plywood.

I will also try print shops.

I never would have thought of these places (print shops, carpet shops, and model shops) for this kind of thing.
But now that they're out there, I feel like slapping my forehead. Hard.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You could always have a word with your local plumber to see if they've got any offcuts of 150mm drain pipe. I think the outside diameter of that is about what you're looking for so you can use it as a former for your tube.

As for birch bark you can take it from dead wood, scrape it clean then build a layered tube around your former, using a suitable waterproof glue between the layers and you'll end up with a very rigid birch bark tube :)

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Thanks, plenty of places to search now. :)

This is good. It's a nice little project until the weather improves (either gets a bit warmer or cold enough not to produce freezing slush).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE