Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've been reading back through this thread, and a few months ago there was a large debate regarding CCF mats Vs self inflating mats.
Something I feel that needed pointing out is while Self Inflating mats are comfier and pack smaller they can and often do get punctured and or burst, thats why the Army have a lot of them, and they get exchanged, I never heard of a CCF mat getting exchanged during my years in the military.

OK Rant over.
Getting back to the original thread ... ... Putties they have become obsolete since gaiters are available.
and since I have a wind-proof neck baffle I no longer use a scarf, although I use my shamagh a far bit

Aye but its never a huge amount. If i get any oxidisayiion and its rare but i do i just scrape it off and start goin again.

i've seen some pics (not sure if this forum or somewhere else...) with almost the whole rod gone after contact with moisture... maybe not much of an issue in dry(arid) climate but in humid conditions or with the rod left alone for some time you could find yourself without fire....

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
i've seen some pics (not sure if this forum or somewhere else...) with almost the whole rod gone after contact with moisture... maybe not much of an issue in dry(arid) climate but in humid conditions or with the rod left alone for some time you could find yourself without fire....

Good point. Though i think more than anything that comes down to kit mentality. You if youve got a peice of kit thats important you look after it. You think aboit your knife. You sharpen it with a whetstone then you dry and oil it so it doesnt rust. Same as if your out you apply oil/ to you knife to keep it in foor nick. Same for a ferro rod its just metal it needs tlc if your gunna depend on it

Good point. Though i think more than anything that comes down to kit mentality. You if youve got a peice of kit thats important you look after it. You think aboit your knife. You sharpen it with a whetstone then you dry and oil it so it doesnt rust. Same as if your out you apply oil/ to you knife to keep it in foor nick. Same for a ferro rod its just metal it needs tlc if your gunna depend on it

indeed- and i look after my gear (some of my haunts were/are more remote then UK so TLC of gear IS important) but tropical humidity can be sneaky....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE