Kit, survival, individual, MK3 opened and explaned...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Kit survival individual MK3

Hi I'll do this later today, photo's and info!

watch this space! :D

Last edited:

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Mk3 thats the one with suspender clips in the later ones so you can look pretty when squealing like a pig!

good bit of kit I've got a couple of upgraded ones kicking about.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the suspender clips are in the MK4.
you can see them below (black) sat on the green bag.

jpg124.jpg

http://www.bcbin.com/index.php?productID=1118

bet you can't find the MK 3 on the internet! :rolleyes:
I can't! and I've looked a lot! :confused:

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
OK HERE IT IS!! enjoy! :D

Kit, survival, individual, MK3
DSCF2845.jpg

The kit as packaged it is made from light cotton material similar to the old Lightweight trousers. certainly not waterproof. it'll easily fit in trousers/jacket pocket.

Top view:
Here is the top open, you can see it's just simple velcro closures, on the front you can just make out a single brass lanyard hole.
DSCF2846.jpg

Here are the 3 components A, B, and C.
DSCF2847.jpg

Why they are called "A, B, & C" is a mystery as there doesn't seem any connection with the contents, I'd imagine it's purely a stores reference. for example you'd expect the fire kit bits all stored together, and it isn't.

Part "A" contents:
DSCF2853.jpg

1. Survival bag (see-through polythene).
2. nylon cord(not "para/550).
3. Instructions (on waterproofed paper).
4. brass wire(coiled).
5. Tampons (cotton wool).
6. Flint and steel (with hacksaw blade).
7. Wire Saw(coiled).
8. single edged Razor blade(in cardboard).
9. Fishing kit(line, weights flys hooks etc).
10. Needle.
11. Button Compass(the real sort!).
12 Candle(original was missing i replaced it with this one).

Part "B" contents:
DSCF2852.jpg

1. Green plastic box (certainly not watertight and not very strong).
2. 24 pater purification tablets.
3. 2 "dry" condoms (NON lubricated).
4. Rubber band (yup, part of the kit).
5. some tiny Esbit/Hexi tablets.
6 a lump of cotton wool.

Part "C" contents:
DSCF2861.jpg

1. a foil Blanket.

Oh this is the compass from part "A": (yes, I know, a bubble!)
DSCF2851.jpg

Here it is compared with an Mod genuine Brass button compass.
DSCF2870.jpg

That's a standard paracetamol tablet next to them!
Can you guess why?...yup, swallow and...erm retrieve later!

if you have questions I'll be happy to answer.

Last edited:

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
the bag that it's all stored in looks useful....for something other than the 'idiots guide to common sense' that its supplied with,personaly I'd bin the contents and use the bag for storing something I'll use,as a first aid kit its useless as a fishing kit its worse.tampons are good for some and I suppose condoms will help you out in a 'last orders on the dance floor' environment

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Thats interesting, thanks for showing.Would it have been army issue?I like the brass button compass.

It was RAF Issue, (it's about the right size to fit in flight gear pockets). the army tend to use small tins like the famous "tobacco tin", though there is a fair bit of cross-over with the kit.
the button compass... yeah i like it too! it origonally had a black coating. :cool: only problem with kit that small is you can loose it easily!

SCOMAN said:
Any chance of scanning the instructions and posting them?
yeah, I'll pop it with the photos, though you''ll have better instructions in a standard survival book(nothing amazing).

the laird said:
the bag that it's all stored in looks useful....for something other than the 'idiots guide to common sense' that its supplied with,personaly I'd bin the contents and use the bag for storing something I'll use,as a first aid kit its useless as a fishing kit its worse.tampons are good for some and I suppose condoms will help you out in a 'last orders on the dance floor' environment
yeah...I agree a fair bit of the kit is not the best available, it all helps though. the earlier kits were far more extensive and had things like the ration tins I showed.
I guess the pick up time is much faster now than if flying over Russia in the cold war.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
this kit was for part of the flight vest kits and is bare essentials as there's a lot of other stuff stashed around. the biggest kits and the ones which has the emergency rations came out of the ejector seat packs which would have stuff like an axe, food, water etc...

the personal kits have got cheaper over the years compared to the 2 part kits which we started in ww2 and the americans have continued. the problem was companies like fraas would pop up and make some great kits for a few years until the stores were full and then the pentagon would stop ordering. we have the same problem which is why we have to suffer bcb now.

you will see these kits zip tied to a lot of bodyarmour on the coverage from afghanistan.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
daft thing is they used to stick them in the normal kits 20 odd years ago, I had one but changed it out for the new fangled plastic ones because they were more accurate.

the survival aids tin is still the best basic one on the market though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE