Kit reviews?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
As most of you (us) certainly has experienced, a lot of the post here in kit chatter seems to concern experiences of kit or places to get kit. With this in mind, I have humble request for the moderators and administrators of this site, namely a member-controlled review section. What do I mean by this? Well, how about a section of the site where members can add a piece of equipment, or a webstore, and rate it. If others also have tried this item, they can also add their review.

For instance, I want to share my experiences of a sleeping bag. I add it in the "sleeping out" section of the reviews, by brand name. Then there could be a couple of parameters, e.g. brief desccription (size, appearence, field of use, materials, weight, size etc) rating (1-10), pros, cons, where it was bought, price, and finally the subjective experience of the item (the main bulk of the text). The brief description would be the static (i.e. it is the same for all reviews). Let me illustrate:

Sleeping Out>Sleeping Bags>Nanok Endurance -10
  • Description: A three season sleeping bag. Synthetic filling, two zips. Comes wiith a boot bucket, which can also be used to carry water or as a stuff sack. Sleeping length 195 cms. Weight: 2340 g. Comfort rating -10 (not ENXXXX rated). Green.
  • Member: Big_Swede
    • Rating: 6/10
    • Pros: Rugged, Green, The boot bag
    • Cons: The weight, two zippers
    • Price: £XXX at www.yyyyy.zzz
    • Review: I used it during several longer hikes. The rating is quite accurate but colder sleepers may want to consider a fleece liner. If it would have been more expensive I don't think it's worth it. Somewhat overrated. My main disappointment is the weight and the packing volume. Comparable with brand X model Y, which is cheaper.
  • Member: Someone_Else
    • Rating: 2/10
    • Pros: The colour
    • Cons: Filling, bulk, and whatnot
    • Price: £XXX at www.yyyyy.zzz
    • Review: I hated it, it's really optimistic rating, got a cold in +10 degrees. Weghs a ton and soaks up water like a sponge. Beware: overrated cr4p!

The above reviews are just examples, I don't use that bag, but it seems popular so I though it was a good example

You get the point. A review system like this could be a valuable resource for anybody with a interest in the outdoors, and who is considering upgrading or complementing it's kit. Also webshops and schools could be reviewed in the same way. Preferably a picture could be shown with each item. Also, I think it would be better to have the opinions gathered at one place instead of the odd review amongst the other posts, and a lot of repeating could be avoided.

(of course the formatting would be different and more appealing)

What do you all think?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I like that idea. It would also help with the recurring question 'What kit can you all recommend?' question that seem's to appear from new users who are not aware of the search function.

I'm not having a pop, we've all done it:eek:

Yes, good idea mate.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
I have come across this feature on other forums but it never seemed to take off. Maybe it would be different here as most do love their kit.

Anyway, good idea.

Kris

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have come across this feature on other forums but it never seemed to take off. Maybe it would be different here as most do love their kit.

Anyway, good idea.

Kris

Yeah, I'm not claiming to be the inventor :D I, just like you, saw something similar on another forum (which is loaded with reviews).

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I think it's a very good idea but does it conflict with a good number of threads that appear in this section of the forum? It would be a valuable resource and would, with luck and the participation of a wide range of bushcrafters, provide a broad and subjective appraisal of the kit that we buy and use.

Go for it!

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Am I missing something here or doesn't the review section on the site do this already? :confused:
I'm sure if you mentioned to Tony you had done a review he would be more than happy to add it to this section.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Am I missing something here or doesn't the review section on the site do this already? :confused:
I'm sure if you mentioned to Tony you had done a review he would be more than happy to add it to this section.

You don't see the difference? If I write a review, it's only MY subjective experience. But if it's possible for everybody to review everything, you'd get a much broader perspective. And frankly, IMHO, the current review section is kind of narrow. Tools and equipment currently has only 8 items.

The current reviews are well written and are very in-depth, but still they are only reviewed by a single author. How does one know that the writer isn't biased in some way? If I would review the F1 I would say that it sucked, 'cos it's convex and I can't stand them, at the same time there are hundreds of people swearing by them. If you could get a gathered opinion with about 20-30 reviews instead of the present single mastodont review, you would get a better opinion. And maybe you'd noticed that you share some opinions with some members, and feel that you might agree with their opinions on some piece of kit you're thinking of bying.

This is even more of a concern when it comes to schools, courses and webshops, since this is much more subjective.

You see the difference now?

ganstey

Settler
I think its an excellent idea. As someone who's fairly new to the serious (ie expensive) side of bushcraft, I've been looking for reviews of all sorts of things. The reviews section is next to useless at the moment because there's so little in it, as has already been pointed out. When I've researched and then tried something I try to do a mini-review, but they get lost amongst the general (but nonetheless useful) chatter.

G

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
It could be a good idea i think. Also takes the strain of someone having to create a special in depth review.
I had a look to see if there was any PHP review / rating application out there that could do it.. seems to be a few but none that really fitted exactly what you were after.

I'm working with an e-commerce package that does this at the moment which would be great but I can't split it out of the rest of the application.
If anyone comes across one, let me know :)

Cheers
Carlo

If anyone know of any decent (free) ones out there let me know

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's a good idea and we've thought of it before, however at the moment there's loads of other stuff going on and it's not going to get done, an option would be a review forum and we can post a template in, this would allow you to post your thoughts and others to post there's as well.
It does need a system where members can vote and comment and it all get compiled by the software, it would need to be a quick and easy install though.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
It's a good idea and we've thought of it before, however at the moment there's loads of other stuff going on and it's not going to get done, an option would be a review forum and we can post a template in, this would allow you to post your thoughts and others to post there's as well.
It does need a system where members can vote and comment and it all get compiled by the software, it would need to be a quick and easy install though.

The problem with the review forum would that you wouldn't have the same overview as you would with a categorised database. The risk of general chaos is higher I think.

How about have somebody (or a couple) of the forum do it for free? It's just php and mysql...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE