Kit bag, work bag, man bag thing needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all. I am looking for a general bag to cover a few basics. I am still not exactly sure what type of bag I need but any help or ideas is appreciated. I will just list my requirements and see what you all think. :confused:

Main uses:
- Work. Teacher. I take in food, water bottle, diary, stationary and a paclite gtx EVERYDAY. Some books maybe but big files I carry in a box.
- Play. Orienteering/ running. Out once or twice a week to new locations and take small orienteering items (compass etc.), some food& drink and spare clothes.
- Weekend. Daddy. Going to relatives, up to town or kids parties. Need to lob in essentials, clothes (not just mine), snacks and boredom busters.
- Bushcraft/camping/BOB. Can take essential items (water, tarp, knife, possibly hatchet etc.). For mooching around outdoors.

- Easy access to kit. Things go in and out a lot. Eg- back from work, eat dinner, get changed, go orienteering.
- Rugged. This is why I am posting on this website. It will get used outdoors.
- Smaller compartments. Not too many.

Dislikes:
- Padding. takes up room.
- Too many pouches pockets etc. Wastes space.

Possible ideas:
- Molle (or similar) makes it modular.
- Old military canvas rucksacks. Cheap and access to contents is normally quicker.
- Shoulder carry means things can be accessed when on the go.

I dont want to have loads of bags littering the house when one good one will do. All ideas welcome.

Nick

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Im sure others with more knowledge will be along, but the first thing that springs to mind is a Berghaus Munro or a small Karrimor Sabre.......

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would have 2 bags for your needs myself. One for work and family, the other for outdoor stuff.

As to what sort I'm afraid I cannot be much use. For my work bag I use as a Swiss gear backpack. It has enough pockets to be useful but not to many that you loose stuff in the pockets.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
If, as you say, you want one good one that will last you then may I introduce you to the wonderful world of Frost River.

My new FR bag arrived from the states today. It's called the Overland Valise and its basically a very nice small duffle bag. I got it as a do-all weekender type bag. It's not so big that you couldn't carry it around as a casual bag either, the pictures make it look bigger than it is.

Click on this link.... if you dare. Don't blame me if your wallet makes a little squeal as you click.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/overland-valise/

Sent from my phone.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If you look in the classifieds fella outdoordude was selling a maxpedition jumbo versipak cheap!!
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
I use my Karrimor SF Predator Patrol 45 all the time. You can zip up the sides and it's small enough to take a laptop and jumper, excellent days in the city. Couple of pockets on top for keys etc. If that's not enough space you can unzip it to go to 45 litre. Also takes side pouches and there is stacks of PALS for molle type pouches. It's also made really well and is water resistant.

I'm not a fan of shoulder type bags so I always go for a rucksack.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all
Thank you for the replies. Out of all of that lot Ihave a lot of ideas now.
The Berghaus Munro looks like a lovely piece of kit. The reason I kept away from daysacks is because I have 3 and they are all rubbish. The one I kept from the army was the one that most recruits buy as it is the only one available at first. I hate using it because the lid pouch is too small and access to the main compartment is awkward. I will look further into this.
Fjallraven shoulder bag also looks good. So I may get a decent daysack (munro) and compact shoulder bag (Fjallraven).
Many thanks

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Oh dear. I have just seen the Karrimor predator. It is slightly bigger in the main compartment but it has all the features I was thinking about putting on the munro. Molle loops galore, side pouch attachments (65l is a lot of kit) and pockets at the bottom on the side to put the axe head in to. Also those funky Karrimor side pouches which are meant for AMMO can fit water bottles and other bits for a civvie like me. Little problem- don't like the lid pouch, looks funny. BIG PROBLEM- cost!
If I got the munro with side pouch attachments and buy the Karrimor funky side pouches separately, will they be compatible? And do the funky side pouches have a slot where an axe could go anyway?
I dont want to turn a simple bag purchase into a £200 full kit experience. I'm not waging war here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE