Kind of cool :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
An 'igloo' made of ice bricks made in carton using food colouring in the water.

diy-backyard-igloo.jpg

http://jucktion.com/forum/art-designs/amazing-backyard-igloo-diy/

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like that, stained glass igloo. Using the same principle you could make a mini Bifröst in the back garden!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I love that! What a lovely shelter to wake up in, eh? I'd like very much to try that one out.........In many places I guess if you built that early in Winter you'd have it for the whole season - what a memory for the kids to have :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very cool!
Definitely cool to sleep in - ice does not insulate as well as snow....
But really cool to look at and super stylish, if you can make one in the wilds, as a Bushy shelter :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There has to be something that could be used like a giant ice cube tray, someway to make a tray of 'bricks' at a time, though.
Shouldn't think it beyond mortal wit, and it'd be easier than all those empty juice cartons surely.

It's rarely cold enough, long enough, here to do something like that, but it's very appealing :D

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There has to be something that could be used like a giant ice cube tray, someway to make a tray of 'bricks' at a time, though.
Shouldn't think it beyond mortal wit, and it'd be easier than all those empty juice cartons surely.

It's rarely cold enough, long enough, here to do something like that, but it's very appealing :D

M

Paint tubs, plastic and hold about five litres.
Tapered slightly so the ice falls out easy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought about the milk jugs cut down, but you'd need to store such a lot of them in hopes for a bitter cold couple of weeks.
That's why I was trying to think of something simpler…..like plant trays with dividers of some kind to make 'bricks'.

M

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
They're both the same bb07,

It's a nuce idea, very pretty, but what if it falls in, that's a lot of very hard heavy ice ?

Similar, yes, but in two different parts of the country:). The first link shows an igloo made from freezing blocks in containers, while the second showing the castle, has blocks cut from lake ice and lit with coloured lights.
Once warmer temperatures arrive, it'll all melt together in one big lump, but if it fell in now then someone will have a sore head;). Ice is very strong though. I wouldn't be surprised if several people could jump up and down on top of it with no damage.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE