Kids, Goats, and the Arapuca Bird Trap

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I set up an arapuca in our dog kennel to catch some of the dove coming in to eat our goat food. It worked but my son got a little enthusiastic, so did our goat...

img3744qe4.jpg

Kids, Goats and the Arapuca Bird Trap

Mac

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
:lmao: Can't wait to see the next installment.

I'm working on a whole series for the goat.

"Log Deadfalls for Goats"

"Skinning with Quartz"

"Braintanning" (some say this won´t work for a goat)

Fishy,

I used to air rifle hunt for Rolinha out at our rural property but they made it illegal so I don´'t anymore. The trapped ones just get embarassed and let go.

I have my own way of cooking them: Section the birds. Lightly brown them in butter, grushed garlic, and salt, add the juice of two fresh squeezed oranges and a dash of hot sauce, reduce over a low simmer. Yeah, they're good eating.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Jack,

They are easy to build and use but they don't stand up to the ravages of 7 year old boys nor 2 year old goats.

The first time I set one in an open field the next morning the trap was smashed and the corn gone. A nearby horse was trying to act innocent. They don't work well for large mammals in general. Mac

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Trapping is a big no-no here in Brazil. That's why I don't ever make videos of actual trapping in the bush, I don't do it. Here at home I have more liberty to show how the trap works. Plan "A" was to video several captures but the goat changed that.

The arapuca is very simple to make and the trigger is very intuitive once you try to make one. You can bait it with anything ground feeding birds feed on. The nemesis of the arapuca is the mouse or rat, they will trip them, steal the bait and get away.

For larger birds just make them larger and heavier, the same trigger works. Sometimes you can tie a rock on top for weight. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE