Kevlar Tape

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I remember reading about someone sing Kevlar tape wrapped around his camp, has anyone tried it and does it withstand the flames? and where does one buy the right stuff.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I remember reading about someone sing Kevlar tape wrapped around his camp, has anyone tried it and does it withstand the flames? and where does one buy the right stuff.

I assume you mean "using" Kevlar tape? The rest of your question has me a bit flumoxed though.:confused:
Wouldn't it be an awful waste of tape to wrap it around a whole campsite? Do campsites often need taping together? Even if it did need taping back together, wouldn't it be something of a lost cause if the site was already on fire?

Sorry, but you did give me a chuckle :) :notworthy

Do you mean flat climber's tape, or adhesive tape?

The only time anyone has told me about wrapping anything around a camp site it was in relation to military operations in the bush where light disipline is important. Routes between bashas, latrines, stores etc can be cleared of all trip hazzards and low branches, then be marked with a cord running from tree to tree. The explanation was so that people could navigate safely without lights by following the cord with one hand. Never tried it and suspect it was most use in the jungle where there are lots of trees, visibilty is poor and night comes down fast and very dark.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You're spot on there Chris, lots of strings are used in a Harbour area as it is called. Comms string out to your sentry positions, and the harbour area can be a number of different shapes, although triangular is the best for all round defence. It is true that the trackway is cleared of anything that would make noise and a string put in which is raised at night and lowered during the day. This is so that you don't have blokes walking about the harbour area during the day stood upright!

Of course, for us lot, there's no need for it as we don't have sentry positions, although I have been known to stay up most of the night watching over the camp. The Stags Breath had nothing to do with my decision to stay up neither, honest!

:D

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Around the camp?

I know that kevlar tape wrapped around stick for use as a wick in making flaming torches.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Kevlar used as a wick on fire toys is only really useful for that. It is quite heat resistant, but mostly works due to the fuels used (paraffin/meths) burning at low temperatures, and that the fuel burns as a flame and carries most of the heat away from the wick (the evaporation of fuel cools the wick).

If you let the fuel burn out and leave the wick smouldering, or drop the fire toys into a real fire (full of hot coals at several hundred degrees) your wick very quickly gets burned through and disintegrates. Even with occasional fire toy use (once a week for an hour) you'll need to replace the wick every 3-6 months.

Saying that, if you want to have a play, cheapest suppliers in UK are www.fyrefli.co.uk and www.firetoys.co.uk - its about £3-5 per metre...

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ah had to me something missing :D

What was the purpose of it? Try keep the can shiny? Or stop it rattling when packed?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE