Kestrel or Woodlark Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 10, 2013
Huntingdon
Hi all,

Country Innovation produce two similar smocks. I'm looking to purchase one of them for walking and bushcraft all year round, just not too sure which one.

Found some useful info in these forums on the Kestrel smock but not much on the Woodlark.I watched the YouTube video on the Woodlark which had some useful info but I'm always cautious with YouTubers that say something is brilliant but then you never see them using it again.

Anyone using the Woodlark smock? Anyone had both?

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
for me 6'3'' both are to short an in generel to small

if you search for a waterproof version look for ridgeline smocks up to 5xl (euro size) sometimes 50%

or if not waterproof and more storage capacity arktis smocks ( us version is up to 5xl this is for gaints! i use the b221)

no. series form fällräven (made in europe) is also an option (when you get it 50% off!) - very lagre but only max. xxl so not for me but for my better half

smock no1

jacket no 68

mr

Sep 10, 2013
Huntingdon
Many thanks for your response. I've had a ridgeline pintail smock (old style) for some years now and it has been very good. The fällräven smock is lovely and look greats however like yourself xxl is just not enough. Part of me wants to try Ventile material so I'm leaning towards the Kestrel smock at the moment and considering one for the autumn.

Again, many thanks and kind regards.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
i like ventil or eatproof but only in wintercondions (or shorts/ vest in hot summer) - in the rain it double up its weight (up to 600g/m^2) an dafter 1h there is no water protection (if you wear a backpack maybe earlier) so it is not an alternative for waterproof membrane and you can not use wax so a barbour is also the better choice for wet weather

and poly/cotton ripstop or cordura/ kevlar are more robust so there is only one reason to wear ventil or eatproof you want no plastic

gamsbokk bushcrafter-jacket (max. 3xl) is an attempt to combine eatproof and cordura

mr

Reactions: CLEM
Dec 9, 2014
North Wales
Hi all,

Country Innovation produce two similar smocks. I'm looking to purchase one of them for walking and bushcraft all year round, just not too sure which one.

Found some useful info in these forums on the Kestrel smock but not much on the Woodlark.I watched the YouTube video on the Woodlark which had some useful info but I'm always cautious with YouTubers that say something is brilliant but then you never see them using it again.

Anyone using the Woodlark smock? Anyone had both?
I have the Woodlark. It's had about 2-3 years of mixed use and is still going strong. I think they're actually made by Keela, who have a great reputation amongst outdoor professionals.

It might actually be my YT video you saw...

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I have the Woodlark. It's had about 2-3 years of mixed use and is still going strong. I think they're actually made by Keela, who have a great reputation amongst outdoor professionals.

It might actually be my YT video you saw...
Ah your that chap, I watched that review. It looks a good piece of kit.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE