Kenyan Adze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
This is an adze I bought from someone near the hotel I was at in Mombasa last week. He was about 75, and still working at his little shop. Loads of people offered hand made keyrings with your name engraved on them, and they were all made by him. He also did small carvings, and used a pair of adze to make them. This is the larger of the two. It turns out that he made the them himself and was going to make a new one the next morning. It's relatively sharp, but I haven't tested it yet. I gave the handle a little sanding down and then a coat of linseed oil. He used a piece of leather as a washer to hold the head in place. Playing with it makes me like the idea and want a take-down tomahawk.

I only paid about £6 for it, and whilst it's doubtless nothing compared to the gransfors equivalent, it seems like a shame that few companies offer anything below the £100+ they charge. Opinel should make them!

Photo160.jpg

Photo156.jpg

Photo154.jpg

Photo153.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE