Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I am considering buying a Kelly Kettle simply because they are big, shiney and burn things. :D

I would welcome you opinions on them, especially whereis teh best price and is the accessories kit worth having?

Thanks

Z

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
It's a good piece of kit, but you can't really do more than boiling water with it. It's really fast and easy to use. It's quite big to, so probably not great for backpacking.

Michiel

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I have recently replaced a big K.K. with the pint size version. Less space taken and it's obviously lighter. How often will you need to boil 2.5 pints of water? maybe if you are making a brew for several people. They are a wonderful bit of kit and I often use the fire bowl for cooking food on after the water has boiled by placing two green sticks across the bowl to support a pan. I don't think there is a more efficient way of boiling water using just twigs and sticks. Go for it :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have both and love em to bits. They are hardly minimalistic from a carrying point of view but they work so well and you only need step outside the backdoor to brew up. The embers can be quickly transferred as a good base for getting your campfire going quickly as well :) There are lovers and haters but I suspect that a majority of the haters have never owned and used one ;) (ducks flying alu chimney tops :p )

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I have a 2.5 pint version which I got from outdoorcode.

It's a great piece of kit, but while pretty light, it's big and would take up a lot of pack space if you're on foot. That said, my main use is while on expended canoe trips, so pack size isn't really an issue :) . However, it's really only a 'hot water maker' - while I know you can get cooking accessories, my personal feeling is that you're better off with a purpose built cooker / cooking fire for food preparation (I usually use a Chris Randall Yukon Firebox - a great piece of kit which packs down to a flat A4 size, but blimmin heavy - definitely not for back packing!).

cheers
Matt

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I've got the 2.5 pint version and the accesories.
It's very light and weightwise is no problem to carry around, though it is big, so you probably won't carry it in your rucksack as I have done several times in my oversized rucksack. You can indeed only boil water in it, but you can perfectly use the base to put a pot on and use small sticks for fire. I've done it several times and works quite good. There are others like cyclist on this forum who cook on top of the kelly kettle while it's busy cooking water. Just keep enough water in and you can stay cooking on top of it.

cyclist also cooks his food in a pot cozy, so it's possible with some effort to make your entire meal with just boiling water.

I said I bought the accesories and I have found they are not worth the price. The 2 cheap aluminium little pots, potholder and a little grill have not much use or can be found cheaper elsewhere. I only a few times used the grill, once I first burnt a lot of oak in the KK for quite a while and then put the grill on the base which was ofcourse full of very nice coals, perfect to put some meat on. Another time I just burnt quite much oak in the base (no kettle involved) which I had stapled, then when it burnt down I put the meat on the grill. Worked fine, though ofcourse the fire burns better with the kettle on (chimney).

I do think the base could use some more airholes, as the wind often turns around where I am. It's not hard to drill one whole more in.

The kelly kettle is a bit too expensive for what it is I think. But nevertheless I do use it often to boil some water quickly and make a cup of tea at home ( I don't take it in my backpack anymore! just use a billycan). It's really fun to use and a good excuse to make fire. I think I would opt for the smallest version if I'd buy again, because when cooking water in the KK you can easily poor out the cooking water and put new fresh water in. It won't take long before that's boiling again because the fire was already going.

Before I bought the KK I read some comments that it would boil water really fast with very little fuel so I did have a bit too high expectations. Though it is efficient it's not magic and takes ofcourse quite some fuel.

Also my KK did start leaking after something had bumped into it (when the base wasn't inserted, the KK is much stronger when the base is inserted as you'd normally do when transporting it). I did manage to make it watertight again using pliers. I was very scared that the expensive kit it is would already be broken. The KK is made to be very light and it's fragile because of that. The quality is good though and you shouldn't have problems when being careful with it.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having got a Kelly, Eco-kettle and a Thermette if you have any contacts in NZ grovel to them and get a Thermette as they hold neigh on 4 pints as opposed to 2.5, mines never leaked unlike the Kelly and the bail type handle on the Kelly really makes it awkward to pack, unlike the Thermette which slips nicely into a PLCE bergan side pocket with a layer of karrimat padding and the whole thing straps onto the outside of what ever pack i'm using. I've not bothered with the cooking top piece to be honest so can't coment on that

Also the copper polishes up real prurty.

ATB

Tom

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Thanks to all for the comments, I have just ordered the larger KK plus the top potstand which I am hoping will support my crusader cup. :cool:

Its a bit of a gamble because if the kettle boil so fast I am not going to get much cooked on top in that time :lmao:

I left the accessories kit, I will use my crusader cup there instead, but to be honest it isn't going to be much more than just a small fire and won't have the blast furnace action that happens with the kettle in place.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Does anybody remember the old fashioned heavy steel ones (used to beknown as 'Storm Kettles')? Lots of the new shiny ones have leaked or dented when chucked into the back of a landy, but the old conical shaped storm kettles always survived BTCV outings :) They did rust if you left them wet though :(

I would rather get an old one or make one myself, but I'm guessing it would be a PITA to get a water tight joint :rolleyes:

btw, I'm not thinking of moving it around alot ;)

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Dave Budd said:
Does anybody remember the old fashioned heavy steel ones (used to beknown as 'Storm Kettles')? Lots of the new shiny ones have leaked or dented when chucked into the back of a landy, but the old conical shaped storm kettles always survived BTCV outings :) They did rust if you left them wet though :(

I would rather get an old one or make one myself, but I'm guessing it would be a PITA to get a water tight joint :rolleyes:

btw, I'm not thinking of moving it around alot ;)

How about brazing the joint? I just bought some fluxed brazing rods with which I can do thin stuff using a standard plumbing type propane torch. I guess a brazed joint would be fine as long as you didn't boil it dry on top of a raging fire :)

cheers

Matt

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Gunnix
The dimensions of the tank part of the thermette is 10 1/2 inches high by 6 inches diameter, chimney bore as it leaves the top of the tank is 2 1/2 inches dia.

Weight empty with hearth ring 3 1/2 lb.

And it smells glorious even after not being used for a few months.

ATB

Tom

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Well it urned up to day plus a freebie to make up for the delay in the order. :cool:

SWMBO was confused at first, and couldn't see where the water went and then dismissed it as a boys toy, which gave me the right hump.:(

Strangely enough apparently Simon King used one last night on Springwatch and as he is "gorgeous" that made it all right :confused:

An awful lot of good are said about kelly kettles and they are very very good however there are some daft things with them that could easily be resolved at the factory stage...

I think the cork gets too dirty, when in use (boiling up) the cork on the chain inevitably falls on the ground only to contaminate the chamber when you push it in again. If it was some kind of plastic cork that could be cleaned easier then that would be more practical-the spout could be mnore shaped.... Again I think the KK is too light, it's easily dented and damaged. the handle is a pain too, burn your hands trying to lift the kettle off the fire bowl!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
You can avoid burning your hands by lifting the handle just so that it is perpendicular to the kettle and lifting it off. Once it's clear of the fire pan you can carry it normally.

You can avoid burning your hands by lifting the handle just so that it is perpendicular to the kettle and lifting it off. Once it's clear of the fire pan you can carry it normally.

Yeagh i know how to do that! :lmao:
But lets face it...a small handle on the side fixed would make things a darn site easier huh? You would not need to hold the handle and the cork at the same time then!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE