Kelly Kettle Alternatives!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I like the concept of a volcano kettle, but I don't like the weight and bulk.

I'd like something lighter and something stronger, and these two ideas on the Kelly Kettle concept address both, though in differing way's...

1: The Montgomery Kettle:

I loved this from the moment I first set eyes on the project of Devin Montgomery, which is to build an Ultralight Volcano Kettle!

Unsurprisingly, I have one of the first production ordered!
happy0054.gif

The Spec's:

Weight: approx. 6.0 oz.
Dimensions: approx. 4" wide by 7.5" tall when collapsed.
Boiling capacity: 20 oz.
Time to boil 20 oz (dry twigs): 6 min.
Time to boil 16 oz (dry twigs): 4.5 min.

A neoprene cozy will be available for handling when boiling as will a silicone plug making the Kettle a water storage bottle.

Original thread on BackPackingLight.com, here, follow up thread, here.

l_c4992d72bca04a4eafec693890e70f9b.jpg

Credit: Devin Montgomery & BPL.Com.

2: Nalgene/Guyot MYOG Mini Kelly (Type) Kettle:

This 'Make Your Own Gear' Kettle is the creation of 'Maglite' of the Hoods Woods Forum, using the standard Nalgene/Guyot Stainless Steel Water Bottle and GSI Mug, both modified to suit.

I'd like to thank Pritch for posting the link for this on BackPackingLight.Com
happy0034.gif

Maglite designed a stainless steel cone with a welded 1" tube, the cone is welded onto the modified base of the Nalgene/Guyot bottle creating a volcano kettle, a brass handle completes the bottle. I love this!
happy0054.gif

The GSI Mug is drilled to provide ventilation holes, and holes for the bottle support pegs, the pictures express it better...

P9120002.jpg

P9120003.jpg

P9140017.jpg

P9140019.jpg

Credit: Maglite & HoodsWoods.Net

The 'Maglite Kettle' holds just under a litre, and the version I'm working on will also have a screw on top, enabling the kettle to act as a water storage bottle.

Membership may be required to view .

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I love the Nalgene bottle, that's very simple, and I like the fact you can pour from any direction. At it's simplest if you wanted to use it as a water bottle too you could just put a rubber bung inside the cap shaped to wedge tight in the "volcano" when the cap was done up tight?

I've been experimenting with an old stainless thermos to create a "reverse kelly" where the flames run up the outside of the inner bottle inside the outer jacket. I've just got to make up a hobbo stove the right size for it to sit on.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Sooner or later, someone will try to boil water with the top screwed on.

Actually that'd be damn near impossible to do, you'd never get the fire going if the lid's on, because the lid will block the top of the "stove pipe" too. And if you did put the thing on an established fire - like a hobbo stove - then the heat rising up the "stove pipe" would melt the plastic screw on lid out before the water got to boiling.

It's a great safety feature.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Actually that'd be damn near impossible to do, you'd never get the fire going if the lid's on, because the lid will block the top of the "stove pipe" too. And if you did put the thing on an established fire - like a hobbo stove - then the heat rising up the "stove pipe" would melt the plastic screw on lid out before the water got to boiling.

It's a great safety feature.

You've thought this out pretty thoroughly. Good ideas.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Actually, the original lid does not fit!

The version I'm working on has a lid with an aperture for the flue, but which also provides a seal, allowing for water storage and transportation.

If the lid is not removed prior to boiling, the plastic material will indeed expand/melt away from the flue, releasing pressure. Its a passive safety feature.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
You've thought this out pretty thoroughly. Good ideas.

Oh if only I had the skills to make something like that. No, I can take no credit at all, I just spotted that a plastic lid over the top of the flue would either extinguish the fire, or melt out before anything started boiling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE