Kelly/Bush/Dingo Kettles, what else is out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got talking to a mate at a recent party and we got on the subject of Kelly Kettles (he's got one) and we were wondering what other manufacturers are out there doing the same thing?
So far I've found...

Kelly Kettle
Dingo Bush Kettle
Eco Billy
Thermettes (no link I'm afraid).

What others are out there?

There was one I was describing to him that I think I read about on here. It was filled with water via an opening in the top that then let the water enter the main part from the bottom. It then forced hot water out of a spigot or pipe at the top due to outgoing hot water being less dense than the incoming cold. I just couldn't remember what it was called, anyone know what I'm waffling on about? Pictures would be even better.

Cheers.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Ghillie Kettle

They make the Mkettle and a few other similar to Kelly.
8002767013_23dde2a9e5_z.jpg

Beaten to it it but I'll leave the picture it :)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There was one I was describing to him that I think I read about on here. It was filled with water via an opening in the top that then let the water enter the main part from the bottom. It then forced hot water out of a spigot or pipe at the top due to outgoing hot water being less dense than the incoming cold. I just couldn't remember what it was called, anyone know what I'm waffling on about? Pictures would be even better.

Was this what you read about? Link

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ahh, Lazy Mans Boiler looks like it does the same thing but I thought the version I read about must have been smaller.
boiler2.jpg

Info copied from BES.
The Boiler
Principles of use

This boiler is manufactured from some bricks, cement and an old oil drum.
The boiler was designed to be used out-doors and will provide almost constant hot water for a large family or small community's daily needs.

The brick structure is straightforward and incorporates a metal fire grill of a type that will allow ashes to fall, or be raked through into the ash pit, allowing the boiler to be kept lit 24 hours a day if necessary. Expanded steel decking would be best for the metal grill. There are two metal straps included in the design. These are not strictly necessary, but when you consider the weight of the drum full of water, they are an added safety feature that will prevent the walls splitting apart under the weight.

The chimney can be made from regular stove pipe if available, but, in an emergency, used tin cans can be opened at both ends, snipped at one end to reduce the diameter, and forced inside each other to act as a chimney. Be aware that the tin can chimney method will burn out much quicker than with regular stove pipe.

Most hot water boilers need to be topped up to avoid them boiling dry. It is a fact of life that most people have a lazy streak and will take shortcuts (especially when under pressure). The advantage of this boiler is that, in order to get hot water out, you have to pour cold water in. The cold water is poured in through the funnel, being cold it sinks to the bottom, forcing the hot water up and out the spout. The principle is simple and extremely effective.

It usually needs two people to effectively deposit and gather water, but as someone will probably be on fire-stoking duty anyway, this does not normally cause a problem. A small table could be constructed at the front of the boiler to stand a collection container on if the boiler is being used by one person, and a length of hosepipe fixed to the out-spout to aid aiming. Another very good use for the frame is as a base for an outdoor bread oven. A large metal box can be placed on the bricks and bread cooked in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE