Keeping your kelly kettle sparkly clean.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Kelly Kettle,

How do you keep em clean? I've only used mine a couple of times, and the base is already pretty discoloured, and the chimney is difficult to clean. Any tips

Ta

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi, TC: Smear a bit of soap on the outside before using(and I do mean a tiny bit) clean up will go easy.....

Bruce

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Kelly kettles don't look real until they are filled with soot and sport a dent or three :rolleyes:

I've found that my big version, which I've had for many years, just builds up to a certain level of sootiness, then it stays that way. I guess that once the layer of soot becomes a certain thickness it either burns off or flakes off the inside as I use the thing. The only bit of a kelly kettle I worry about keeping clean is the inside of the water compartment and the cork stopper.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
It is mentioned often that leaving the soot on the bottom of the pan, increases heat transfer.
Logically it makes sense, but does anyone find that when the soot builds up thick on the inside of the kettle is not as efficient?

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Personally I like the battle scared effect, but If I wanted to clean it, I'd just use fairy liquid and scotchbrite as when cleaning any pot or pan.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
if your determined to clean it try going in to your local gunshop and getting a shotgun cleaning kit it comes with a bronze brush on a stick that should do the trick and its only about £6.00 for the cheapest (no idea really never used a kelly :rolleyes: )
best carbon remover in the world is rust remover (car body stuff) just dont let the armourers catch you using it (did i mention i was an armourer lol)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
lyndon said:
if your determined to clean it try going in to your local gunshop and getting a shotgun cleaning kit it comes with a bronze brush on a stick that should do the trick and its only about £6.00 for the cheapest (no idea really never used a kelly :rolleyes: )
best carbon remover in the world is rust remover (car body stuff) just dont let the armourers catch you using it (did i mention i was an armourer lol)
Coke is pretty good on carbon too! :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Personally, I like the battle scarred effect

I agree, outdoor gear looks much better when it has that certain "patina" surrounding it.

I hate when I buy a new piece of gear or equipment and it still has that fresh from the factory look.

Having old gear makes you look like a veteran!

Cheers,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE