Keep your eyes peeled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
To all my Bushcrafty friends on this wonderful site:

I have come to the conclusion recently that i could best be described as an "Armchair Bushcrafter". There is nothing wrong with this and i am quite comfortable with that.

As a consequnce of that over the last few years i have aquired quite a lot of outdoor gear. I could now best be described as "all the gear and no idea" :D

So keep your eyes peeled people. In about a weeks time i will be posting quite a selection of items for sale that i never or rarely use. It will be about a week as my Uncle who is very outdoorsy and a few of his friends i would like to offer any items to them first. He is away in Spain for a weeks so i will be waiting until he returns.

There will be saws, tents, therm-a-rests, pouches,stoves, compasses.............

.........oh and my Wilkinson sword Woodlore :eek: <maple handeled> start kissing your bank managers bottom now! :lmao:

All this will be offered to my BCUK friends at reasonable prices. I would like to see them go to a good home where they will recieve the proper abuse they derserve. That especially applies to the Woodlore :)

I will still be an active member of this site having sent my cheque off to Mr Tony to become a full member. Just a little lighter in gear (which i suppose is more inkeeping with the spirt of bushcraft anyway :rolleyes: )

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hmm I've got a feeling that if I want to remain intact and avoid the wrath of SWMBO it might be wise for me to avoid looking at any thread started by you over the next couple of weeks :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Indeed, it should be noted that i will accept no responsibilty for injury/damage to life, limb or wallet caused by the impending post! :lmao:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah I'm a little like that - but I do get down to doing some bushcrafty stuff, especially this summer, which has been kool - but at the end of the day I'm a student now so I'm gonna have to be a weekend bushcrafter and armchair bushcrafter.

I dont feel the sense of freedom like I do anywhere else than on the hills or woods, etc and I think in this sense its better that way.

I had a sort of collectiv-mania at one point, after watching and reading Ray Mears stuff, but over time I'v developed greater philosophy and wisdom on it....I hope.

And remember aswel its not really about the gear, its about being out, feeling free and enjoying the sights, smells and sounds of the wilderness.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I agree, It won't stop me going out but, my mora will suffice if i need a knife and i doubt very much if a lot of the camping stuff will ever be used again.

I still enjoy going out for walks etc, but the changing climate and attitudes is forcing me to take a long hard look at the way i live my life. Over on the Airgun BBS i have listed all my firearms for sale. The changes in my life and the amount of people wandering around the land now make it nearly impossible to shoot. I have no problem with this, like life everything changes, it's just the natural order of things.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
People walk around on your land? Cant you kindly tell them not to come onto it for danger of death?

I have a mate whos dad lives in Hastings and we go up there sometimes to get some rabbits and they have the same problem with dog walkers.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Regretably not, there are too many rights of access.
When i first started shooting there i never saw anyone, now there are walkers,dog walkers,ramblers,mountain bikers and horseriders. Any one of those through a field and it's bye bye bunnies for at least 45 mins :(

Plus my personnal circumstances have changed along with my working hours so i just don't have the same amount of spare time to deal wiv the wascally wabbits :D

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
O I see. Well the law is the law I suppose.

Can't beleive your gonna get rid of your Wilki' Woodlore knife :eek: thas hardcore dude.

Live n let Live,

Sharp.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
not my business really but what ever you do move on to i wish you well, and though i won't be able to buy anything, i think its a darn sporting thing to do!
It would be so easy to sell it all on Evil bay for more! :You_Rock_

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have to admit that selling the woodie is not an easy thing to do :(

But it doesn't get used much, i don't carry it round with me anymore due to the amount of people around, i rely on a folder to deal with rabbits.

I would be tempted to hold on to it but i think "what for?" i have no doubt these things will increase in value even more and like my "star wars" toys i will be kicking myself in 10 years time :buttkick:

Make no mistake..i won't be giving it away but i won't be asking for your firstborn either :D

and really i won't be moving onto anything new, i'll still be around here, i'll still be out in the countryside. i enjoy it too much to give up, i'm just 'trimming' my gear list down a lot!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I'm not trying to make you change your mind or anything, its purely your choice, but I carry an F1 around all the time, even so before I was of a legal age to carry a knife! I didnt walk around with it blatently out though - I made use of the 'dangle' style sheath and tucked it in my pocket - I'v been using it like that ever since, for the past couple of years - its totally covert :D . However I always leave it at home when I'm dragged into going into a heavily built up area or city :BlueTeamE .

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Hi Arkangel
I must say i admire your mature attitude. I too am turning into a bit of an armchair bushcrafter which isn't hard sited in the middle of London doing shiftwork. However as iv'e just shown there are always excuses. the trick is to incorperate BC at a rate you can afford in your life.
However it's always nice to push yourself out there sometimes and wait for it all to come flooding back.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I fully understand your point sharp88.

The woodie however is not my only fixed blade :D
I also have a mora which for the tasks i perform with it will serve me perfectly for many years. I also won't care if it gets dinged,banged or busted up.
My bushcrafty bit extends to cutting sticks for walking sticks to be made from. Batoning a bit of wood (very occcaisonly, i also have an axe) and practising shaving tindersticks, much to the annoyance of SWMBO <we have an open fire>.

So for what i use it for it's perfect. I would much rather the woodie goes to a bushcrafter on this site who will cherish and look after it as i have done but also give it some stick and abuse as it was designed for.

After the last walk i did with my uncle i have to say i would like to get back to basics anyway. My tag line of "why is my rucksack always the fullest?" is no joke. I always have more kit with me than anyone else, and 90% of it stays in the rucksack never getting used.

T

Tribaljamin

Hi peeps,

Newbie here, newbie to this forum and newbie to Bushcraft in general.
I'm more of a 'Digital Bushcrafter' than an armchair bushcrafter.

Very interested in the whole idea, but havent yet got my hands grubby, eyes filled with smoke, boots filled with crawling things and rucksack full of 'stuff'.

Couple of Q's, whats the deal with a Woodlore?
Whys it so good?
Why does everyone want one?
Would it suit a newbie like me?

Cheers

Tribes :1244:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi Tribaljamin, welcome to the site.

The deal with the Woodlore is, it is the "knife of choice" of Ray Mears. He designed it with Alan Woods and up to about a year ago there were 2 versions available.
1. The handmade Alan Wood version
2. The Wilkinson sword Woodlore knife

Both were made from the same steel to the same spefications. The Wilkinson sword one was "factory made" still to a high standard but more machines were used in it's manufacture than the Alan Woods one.

These days it is nearly impossible to get your hands on either of these knives. There are other threads that suggest there is now a 3 year waiting list for the Alan Woods one due to problems with making them and Alan's ill health last year. The Wilkinson sword versions are no longer being made due to a closure of the factory.
These knives are commanding silly prices on evil-bay at least double what you would of paid for one a few years back.

They are good knives and will take a lot of hammer, hold a razor edge etc.
IMO however they are not the only knife out there. There are some excellent makers of knives on this very site who can provide knives just as good if not better and make them to your specfication making them unique.
It could suit you depending on how big you like knife handles etc. If you dont know i would suggest a Frosts Mora or Clipper for your first knife. They are cheap (£12 tops) will hold a wicked edge. It's a good knife to learn how to sharpen and will take a lot of abuse. It would be a waste of money to spend any more than that on your first knife.
Get a cheapie, learn how to use it properly, sharpen and maintain it properly and then in a year or two if you want something better and you stick around this site you will have a much better idea of what to look for and where to get it.

Hope that helps a bit

T

Tribaljamin

Brilliant advice Ark Angel, cheers for that.

Although its easy to get caught up in the 'look at my large knife collection' game, Ive told myself to go down the very sensible route and beg / borrow / steal something thats going to take piles of abuse, will last me for a while and will learn me proper.

Do you have any advice on the other basics of kit?
Rucksack aside, I'm virtually naked at the moment.

Thanks again

Tribes :1244:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
ArkAngel

I've got plenty of bunnies and no folks on a night - i'm just around the corner so to speak, if you fancy a bit of "pest control" at some point.

Got to admit I am a garden bushcrafter as much as anything. But it keeps me out of trouble.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the offer EdS,

I decided enough is enough though. I've been shooting since i was 6 years old <now 33> and to be honest i am fed up of the way things have gone with regards to gun control, the attitude of the media and "public" (very wide sweeping statement i know but it's easier than putting in all my reason and dealings with people) towards people who own firearms. There are a lot more people in the countryside now anyway which is not a bad thing IMO.

However the bottom line is....i can no longer say for definate that there is no-one over the other side of the hedge/wall/bountdry ditch etc. I am scared (and that is the word) of pulling the trigger. I don't know how i could live with myself if someone got hurt/killed by my hand. I already do everything i can to make sure that i am as safe as possible but i now feel that the only way to 100% safe is not to shoot.
It only needs a 1 in a million fluke rebound and thats it.

Accidents with firearms rarely have happy endings :(

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Tribaljamin it very much depends on what you want to do and how much you really want to get into things.

At the least i would suggest for overnight lightweight camping trips:

Hammock
Tarp to sleep under
Sleeping bag (at this time of year)
Knife
Means to start fire
Water container
Food (unless you are confident foraging)
Something to cook in if required.

Bear in mind this is advice from an "armchair bushcrafter". I'm sure there are better qualifed out there to give you advice.

Consider starting your own thread on this and don't forget to use the search tool. There is a wealth of information already on the site.
There are no silly questions on this site........plenty of silly answers after a few drinks mind! :lmao:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Your absolutely right arkangel. Always safety first. I'v always been a bit paranoid when shooting .22s in the field, after hearing all those stories about them at Bisley and what not, of how they travel for a couple of miles and come down on someones head. Trapping seems safer to me.

I also agree with arkangel that clippers are good to suit the newer enthusiast of bushcraft. My first propper knife was a US MARINES KA-BAR shorty and it didnt really suit the task of bushcraft - it was tough, etc, but was more for something like ramming into someones rib cage, etc. After the KA-BAR, I had a lovely little Frost Knife, known as the Classic Mora knife, of which I swiped off my dad when he bought some Sloyd knives a couple of years ago. It was a nice light, full tanged knife, with a rounded wooden handle and a decent scandi style leather sheath that came with a scary sharp edge and held one too. Very easy to sharpen - and then I knew hardly anything about sharpening. May be one to consider.

Anyways after that I got an F1 and I'v been happy ever since.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE