Keep getting logged out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
here's the problem- the 'Welcome, underground' thing is present on the page, since I logged in and chose the 'remember me' option.

However, after a while, my user details at the top of the forums screen reverts back to the 'If this is your first ever post...' thing, and I have to log in again.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
There's still a few teething problems at the mo mate.

I find the best way is to NOT use the remember me on the main site login (left), and then just login into that each time. That will log you into the forum at the same time.

It's a bit of a pain i know, but if you use this method you should only need to login once per "session"

Hope it helps

Cheers
Carlo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
here's the problem- the 'Welcome, underground' thing is present on the page, since I logged in and chose the 'remember me' option.

However, after a while, my user details at the top of the forums screen reverts back to the 'If this is your first ever post...' thing, and I have to log in again.

Now I'm getting the same thing,
Top left of the page says "Welcome Ogri the trog, but when I come to post a reply to a thread, I get reverted to the "You must register or login to post a reply" page. I tend to leave my login running for as long as the PC is on, and it used to be great. I'd just hit the refresh button to get anything new when I returned after a time away from the desk. But now I'm having to bail out to the home page, log off and then back on before returning to the forum section.
It feels like its not the friendly place it used to be.

Ogri the trog

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sorry about the problems guys, we've fixed a stack of them and the cause of this is a new one so we're going back over things to see what's caused it.

Thanks for your patience:You_Rock_

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Underground, i get the same problem - If I log only into the main site it also logs into the forum, but come back and visit again and you will only be logged into the main site and not the forum.

This has been happening to me since day one.

I find that if I log into the forum first, and then log into the site, ticking "remember me" on both then you will stay logged in.

Its probably a cookie issue, I would imagine that it is only keeping the remember me setting for the main page and dismissing the forum credentials. Or something like that.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm not having a problem with that at all. In fact, I don't know if it is a bug, but I favourited BCUK Forums and whenever I open the link, I go straight to New Posts, up to date! I don't even have topress the button!

Don't fix that one!:rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmm,
This is getting very annoying now, I'm getting bonged out just by hitting the refresh F5 button. Even though the left Login title says I'm "in", the forum header says I have to register before doing anything. Had to re-login just to post this.
It used to be that I left my login as "Remember me" and when I switched on the next day (or anytime later) select any post from the history menu, then click on "community forum" to get the latest posts in all forums, PM's etc. I could follow the links to Britishblades and back without any loss of contunuity.
Last night I tried doing a few movements around the forums and it held the login for a while but if I left the PC for anything more than 30 minutes - I had to re-login as mentioned before. I have no idea what Firefox is other than an old Clint Eastwood film, so I can't be sure if I am, or am not using it.
I'll try doing something with my cookies, if I can find them, but until it gets back to the old ways, my enjoyment of this site is being severely reduced.

Please tell me there are things being tweaked behind the scenes.

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Theres a little update on my rantings previously.
I've had a play with a laptop PC and that held all my login's as I would have previously expected - all very hunky-dory. A big apology to those admins at the driving wheel trying to fix a problen that is likely to be on my main PC.
So now I have to plead to the forum for information about what might have changed on my PC (18 month old Troglet 3 is having the occasional bash of the keyboard when we're not quick enough!) to render it unable to remember my login status between two halves of the same page. As far as I am able, I've cleared my cookies and passwords - then been through all my websites and forums and re-entered them with the Remember Me's clicked. But I'm still having login/out problems with BCUK, is there some generic timer that would log me out of any website if was active but unused for certain lengths of time? Can anyone else suggest a course of action (with drawings if possible) for me to try to fix this annoying situation.

Cheers all

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
And yet another update for anyone bored enough to have read this far....
Suspiciously..... everything has reverted back to the way it was..... login remembered from one visit to the next, stays logged in for my entire visit etc.
I am beginning to think that it might have been something to do with Troglets 1 and 2 creating their accounts from this PC. meaning that it got confused between who should be logged in and who was not. Now that their accounts have been activated and are now accessed from their own PC's, the trouble appears to have faded into the history and finally fallen off the end of the earth.
I am loathe to try to get them to log in again from this station as I really don't want another month of frustration just to see if I'm right - but it might be worht keeping in mind for those family members who have their own accounts and access from one PC in a household.

Cheers all

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE