Keastrel or something else?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I thought I knew a bit about kestrels and their behavior, there's always been plenty around where I've been, including a particular nesting site used over and over for years near where I used to live. So I've spent a fair bit of time watching them.
Now, last night I was walking the dog when I saw a bird of prey circling, in fact soaring in a thermal like a buzzard will tend to do. The only thing is it was small, in fact I would have sworn it was a kestrel from it's shape, but I've never known a kestrel to fly like this. I watched it for some time, it got higher and higher untill I eventually lost it.
So, does anybody know if kestrel's behave like this? If not what else might it have been?
It was in Cambridgeshire, between the villages of Bourn and Toft.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers and sorry for the long post.

Dave

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I can't tell you if this was a kestrel or not, having not seen it, but some birds, particually swifts, do climb high on the thermals in the evening, to pass the night dozing & keeping aloft........the only danger at that altitude is small aircraft.....I can't imagine it a kestrel as they are pretty busy feeding their chicks at the moment, & they usually roost at night........was this falcon or hawk like, ?...........A description of the wing shape & tail length would be helpful....are there any hobbies or merlins in that neck of the woods.?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks Robin,
I just checke a couple of videos on you-tube and that's exactly what I saw. In my encounters with sparrow hawks they are usually rocketing around at low level, in fact I once had to duck because one was coming straight at my face in amongst some saplings!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE