Kaweco travel pen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK, as ever, throwing myself at the mercy of the collective.
I have a Kaweco travel cartridge pen, and it seems to have gummed up totally.
Have tried a couple of long soaks in hit water but the ink just will not flow right, even on a new cartridge.
Any ideas ? Different solvents ?
I know I could just chuck it but it has some good memories, much better if I can fix it.
thanks
bb

Reactions: SaraR and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have tried a couple of long soaks in hit water but the ink just will not flow right, even on a new cartridge.
I know I could just chuck it but it has some good memories, much better if I can fix it.
thanks
bb

That one I think.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
thanks
bb
It’s an old issue with fountain pens, even the expensive ones.
My cheap Lammy or treasured Montblanc suffer when not stored correctly over time.
Have you tried removing the nib & steaming it for a while.(it should come out with gentle persuasion)
A hair pulled between the nib slit can help when immersed in warm soapy water..do not use a pin head.
Use a quality ink & refillable pump cartridge, & take it out before long storage so it doesn’t dry out..not forgetting to clean the nib & dab dry with blotting paper..or tissue, but not recommended tissue as the fibres get caught in the pen.
Best off luck.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
thanks
bb
Commercial pen flush or make your own weak ammonia solution. Then flush with plenty of water.

Did you use waterproof/document or ordinary fountain pen ink?

You can floss the tines with a thin brass sheet, but in your case it seems more like the feed being clogged up. Kaweco pens can usually be completely disassembled, but for at least some them, the nib unit comes out backwards. You can then brush the feed with a tooth brush if you need to.

An ultrasonic cleaner would also work.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Know anyone with a ultra sonic jewelry cleaner? I've used one on a couple of fountain pens to good effect and lots of rotring tech pens with no harm.

Atb

Tom

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I use a syringe and blunt needle to refill the little standard international sized cartridges with other inks. To help me flush out pens I poked a hole in the back of a cartridge so I could fill the syringe with water and power flush the pen, it should not do damage as water can leak out where the needle goes into the back of the cartridge

Reactions: bigbear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE