Katadyn Desalinator... First Impressions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I like the ability to safely drink the water on which I Packraft, and the availability of potable water without the burden of carrying enough for one's journey.

My Katadyn Pocket Filter and the even lighter Katadyn Mini Filter work well, but for complete autonomy I wanted a desalinator.

Specifically, I wanted this desalinator!

11032010473.jpg

11032010470.jpg

11032010465.jpg

The desalinator fits this Peli Case 1150 like it was made for it. The RT2 Mini Gear Keeper is to secure the Peli Case, the desalinator has its own retention clip.

11032010481.jpg

I'd first seen the Katadyn/PUR Survivor Desalinator on Doug Ritter's Equipped To Survive website, here, and immediately appreciated that having the ability to desalinate seawater would be very useful, specifically when Packrafting.

The quality of the unit is striking, the design, materials, build and capability, as befits a piece of equipment created with the role of keeping survivors alive in the event of military and commercial aviation and marine emergencies.

The trickle down effect of surplus military gear results in the availability of these units for recreational outdoor and marine usage, which is how I bought mine!
happy0054.gif

The weight of 3lbs 7.3oz (with fresh Katadyn Biocide Treatment) compares well with the weight of 2lbs 6.9oz for a generic bottle of water! Size is 5" x 8" x 2.5" (12.7 x 20.3 x 6.4 cm).

11032010455.jpg

11032010483.jpg

Total weight including the Peli Case, desalinator, and water storage bags.

11032010484.jpg

I bought my desalinator from this highly recommended seller, whom also sells the desalinator with a tub of spare Biocide Treatment, here. The service I received was exceptional, rapid despatch (despite there being 30" of snow on the ground!) excellent communication, secure, protective packaging and a great deal on a unique piece of gear!
happy0034.gif

I've no connection other than as a very impressed customer.

The cost breakdown was £139:43 for the desalinator, USPS Priority Mail International Service and card service $/£ exchange fee, £22:07 VAT and £8:00 for the Parcel Force Handling Charge, giving a total of £169:50.

I'm very pleased with my desalinator, and had I remembered to buy some spare Biocide Treatment, I'd be even happier as I could have conducted some tests!
happy0009.gif

These will follow, and I'll update the thread (and hopefully take and upload better pics!).

Last edited:

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
:approve:
Looking forward to your tests.

Now, it occurs to me that you really no longer need a packraft. Strap all those Pelicans together and you're good to go. ;)

where's the packraft'n smiley
this'll do
:canoe:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Excellent, I look forward to your review. At one time I seriously considered buying one of these for keeping in my "Abandon Ship Bag" but at that time, a few years ago they were really very expensive.
What decided me against it was a reviewer wrote that in order to produce sufficient water to sustain life in a liferaft/tropics situation, the amount of pumping required was so energy/hydration absorbing that a castaway would be unable to provide enough water for himself as his strength ebbed away.

Naff all to do with potable water for canoeing I appreciate, but remember to count the pumps for me would you please?...:lmao: I might buy one yet. :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hello Wicca,

I think that the Katadyn/PUR Survivor 35 would be a better choice for a 'Ditch Bag' as it produces lots and lots of water, with much less effort and in a shorter time, though it (naturally) has a larger and heavier unit size and weight, which would probably be fine as you won't be carrying it as I will with my 06LL.

One of the reasons I wanted the 'Mil Spec' 06LL is that the extension handles and wide velcro leg strap make the operation less labour intensive, besides which, its all a compromise.

One of the $165 unused/unissued Katadyn/PUR Survivor 35 Desalinator models, overhauled with the Membrane Replacement Kit plus the Repair Seal Kit will give you a unit which will last, provided that its maintained in accordance with the Katadyn schedule.

Here's what Alexander Walentin of Katadyn, Switzerland wrote me on 24/9/2008 regarding their PUR 35 Desalinator:

If you service the unit like we write in our specifications, there is usually no general life span for the unit.

dd2a_1.JPG
< $165!
happy0054.gif

Safe sailing mate!
happy0034.gif

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That's just great, thank you for the info. Water supply has always been the stumbling block in my survival kit and it looks like that problem has now been solved. Obrigado..:D

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
That desalinater is the one used by UK MOD. Its known as the ROP (reverse osmosis pump) it removes approx 98% salt from sea water therefore making it safe to drink. Inside is basically a gortex membrane which the sea water is forced over at great pressure (hence the mechanical pump action)

Remove other contaminants AFTER it has been through the ROP as chemicals can damage the membrane.

Make sure you follow the instructions to ensure the pump is correctly purged before collecting potable water. Also flush the pump after use before you store it away.

A good bit of kit well worth the money. There are other sysytems out there, but this one is the came out top in tests conducted by the centre for avaition medicne. A bunch of boffins who really know what they are on about.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Funnily enough, BBC Radio 4 has announced that a large desalination plant is being opened today in London!

It seemed a good time to give a heads up that there's an exact same desalinator which I bought (originally supplied by the same seller too) currently on eBay at a a hefty saving over what I paid.

I contacted the seller to mention this thread and to confirm that his price was good, and from our conversations I have absolute confidence in recommending the sealed desalinator he's offering, even more so as the original supplier is no longer listing these annually serviced models.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the seller, other than as mentioned above.

The eBay listing, here.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
There's a Katadyn O6' Desalinator on ebay, here. This is the civilian version which has been fully Biocide maintained.

This 06' has also been periodically inspected by Katadyn in the UK and comes complete with spare Biocide and full documentation.

The civilian 06' versions are rarely available other that at new dealer prices and this is an extremely good find.

If intending to convert to 06-LL spec' simply buy the extension handles and velcro leg strap (sold by the Katadyn in the UK).

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the seller.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE