Karrimor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I saw Maddave's post about rucksacks just now and it got me thinking. Who know's for definite if karrimor is no more or not? Now I don't just want "some bloke down the pub said....." we need facts people!! I looked at their site and it is fairly inconclusive karrimor It looks like they have divided the company into sections with all the military stuff being sold through PRI for example. What happens to all those lifetime warranties we paid extra for?

I know all the shops went bump (nice phrase Dave) and they sold everything half price but they have either closed or been bought now. Are they still producing new gear and selling under different brands or just suppliers?

Bill

R

Rabbit

I have had a Karrimor Sabre 45 for going on 4 years, I bought it from the company Bill mentions (PRI) so I went on to there web site pri.uk.com, they have been producing the Karrimor police and military collection for years. I guess this means that if you got your kit from them they are still under guarantee.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
What happens to all those lifetime warranties we paid extra for?
'Lifetime' is one of those odd things. You'll find its for the lifetime of the company, not the bag or you. If the company has gone belly up then the warranty is worthless.... the companies lifetime has ended. If they have been bought out you may be lucky and find that the new company will honour the warranty (it may have been part of the buy ouy deal)...... they may not though.

:)
Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
OK I have just checked and the facts are:

Karrimor went into liquidation after buying the YHA chain and failing to make it work they were bought by Lonsdale Sports

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Thanks guys.

So we will have to see if Lonsdale keep the factory going and produce karrimor products or if they farm out the profitable bits (millitary, bike stuff and rucksacks I would have thought) and scrap the rest.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
or will we see Karrimor on handbags in oxfordstreet windows as we do now with Lord Lonsdales boxing Equipment name.

someone at Karrimor must have been pretty useless with cooking the books to take down YHA with them!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hmmm. A product manufacturer with no experience of running a retail operation buys a failing retailer and expects to turn it around. Interesting strategy. Which one of arrogance or stupidity was it I wonder ?

I don't know the background to this so the above may be unfair, but it makes the point that it's always worth asking the really blunt questions when it comes to business strategy.

Rod

On a new journey
Hi,

I work in the outdoor industry and can confirm that Karrimor were bought out this year by the Sport Soccer chain. We are all waiting to see what happens with the brand from here, but old favourites like the Karrimat are now extinct, we are having to source a compatible product from elsewhere.

PRI are making the mil sacs - I think that they bought the pattern rights. I'll dig arround and find out about the warrenty issue for you. I own a hot earth pack, so I have queries myself

regards

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Thanks Grasshopper I would be interested to know.

I thought that might be the case with the lines they list on the webpage I posted first.

Bill

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
When I enquired, I was told that warranties issued by Karrimor are not being honoured by PRI or Lonsdale.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
That is a shame because one of the good features was the gold star guarantee they provided and who expected Karrimor to go bump?

Bill

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I worked in "Kudos" which was called "YHA adventure stores" (which was first owned by YHA then Karrimor). Karrimor closed all their shops and sold them to private buyers. I know that berghaus are interested in taking the "Karrimor" name. Not sure of the situation now, i certainly heard about Soccer links.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
thats a right pile of poo

I didn't like a lot of the newer karrimor stuff anyway. Just how many daisy chain links do you need with karrimr writton on each link? I thought they must be making lots of money if they were taking YHO over though.
Whats the garentee on lowe alpine stuff?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Andy said:
Whats the garentee on lowe alpine stuff?

No where near as good as Karrimor used to be IIRC. Looks like macpac which do have a good guarantee and excellent quality control (they pitch + check every single tent before it leaves the factory!)

Bill

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

It's sad that karrimor are well no more... I have an Alpiniste 45 that they fixed for free on numerous occasions.

MacPac have also had their problems. They have moved all of their production from Christchurch in NZ (laying off their manufacturing staff in the process) off shore to China. Their was a big Article in NZ Wilderness Magazine a few Months back centered around this and how it might affect MacPac's legendary quality. Having worked extensively in mainland China, I cannot see a Chinese Subcontractor "pitching every tent" prior to it leaving the factory!!!

Cheers

John

Nov 12, 2004
North West
I have just received an email from PRI, so this should set the record straight.

Karrimor's Sabre range of rucsacs has been manufactured by PRI under licence since the 90's utilising the same patterns, fabrics and components and to the same high standard of production. When Karrimor went into receivership it's assets (brand names, designs, stock, etc.) were purchased by the Lonsdale group. PRI still retains its Karrimor licence and continues to develop and manufacture the Sabre range of rucsacs under the Karrimor SF brand name. Guarantees on all Sabre bags sold by PRI remain valid.

I hope this helps guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE