Karabiners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
Can anyone recommend a suitable karabiner?

I'm not looking to go climbing with it - its to support me and my hammock.

From what I've seen, they are either really cheap as they are made of ally and therefore not strong enough or really expensive as they are designed to hold 23 men dangling off of a rope at the same time :lol:

Any suggestions for a cost-effective, suitable karabiner?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like Jordan says, go for climbing rated krabs.

They are rated in kilo newtons but any climbing grade will be up to the task.

I use something similar to these, just take the webbing off and away you go.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I really like the DMM Tru-Screw locking gate karabiners, and have found Field & Trek to have the best prices for them.

a182.jpg

The DMM tech spec page is
HTML:
here.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I favour the wiregates, as recommended by Carbuncle. A screwgate is really a bit OTT for hanging a hammock off - even climbers only use them on belays.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
not really a carabiner but if your not using it for climbing... b and q do connectors for chain link that would do the job or find an ex climber who has a couple of second hand crabs as there is no market for second hand climbing kit for safety reasons that wouldnt apply to your usage.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I favour the wiregates, as recommended by Carbuncle. A screwgate is really a bit OTT for hanging a hammock off - even climbers only use them on belays.

I'll second that, screwgates are a bit unneccesary for hammocks, once you`re in it's not as though the cordage is likely to fallout again.

I have snapgates rather than wiregates for no particular reason.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
cant see the point of using a carabiner, you dont reely need to open the gate at all once youv attached it to your hamock. why not use a cuple of maillons? their alot cheeper and more compact.

probably not the cheepest but heres what i meen
http://www.honeybros.com/gbu0-prodshow/HB15CA.html

pete

If you're not going to open the carabiner, then you might as well just stick with the tapes
that the hammock comes with.

The point of a carabiner is that you can leave the tapes in place and remove the hammock
during the day and just clip it back in place at night.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you're not going to open the carabiner, then you might as well just stick with the tapes
that the hammock comes with.

The point of a carabiner is that you can leave the tapes in place and remove the hammock
during the day and just clip it back in place at night.
I find the point of carabiner is that they make it easy to set up your hammock, they allow you to use tapes, and they stop the rain from running down the tapes and soaking into the ends of the hammock.
I bought six from ebay for under a tenner posted. 3 at 12kn and 3 at 25kn, have a look on there there are lots of lots where you get can get 6 or more for £15 posted

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, mine are there mainly because they make excellent attachments for drip-lines, and are a little easier during pitching and striking camp. They also provide handy hanging points for other gear.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
sorry i was under the impretion that they were just to stop rain soaking down your ropes/tapes. why do you need to take them off? it doesnt take that long to tie your hammock does it?

pete

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You don't need to take them off, but it can be easier to tie and untie your tapes if you use crabs. Rather than have to feed the working end of the tape through a fixed ring, you just clip them in and tie off.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use krabs because I have o-rings sewn into my webbing straps, I can then snap the krabs into those and the hammock cord.

DSC00850.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE