Just wondered about these Mushrooms....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Hi, out and about this weekend a came across these! The White ones were about 10-11 inches across, the Black ones only 1cm across....

Are they edible?

Mushroom1.jpg

Mushroom2.jpg

Thanks

James:campfire:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
black ones are definately jew's ear (now known as wood ear, or jelly ear ever since the world went completely mad)
and i'd agree with bushwacker, they look like dryads saddle to me too

stuart

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Jews ears are edible but by most not considered worth it - although I've never tried. One technique I heard was dry them up, grind em down and add them to soup. There's loads in the wood we go to.

Ah remember you saying. The other ones were at the bottom end of the wood, and loads of them!

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
jews ear is a good flavor carrier and fill your soup
there not bad if you use some nice herbs to flavor them

but dont eat them from oak because of the tannin in the oak that will go in the mushroom

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The jew's ear in the picture are well past eating. They need to be fresh. And I only ever see them on elder.

The larger Dryad's saddles are also at the point where you can't eat them, although they get MUCH bigger than this. Only the small ones are edible. The bigger ones taste like cardboard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE