Just to make Wentworth excited.. Warning! Photo heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
This little thread is two things;

A) it's me out for a day at Dead Deer Crest, a ridge 110 feet above the Saugeen River. Named after one of my first times tracking, and coming across the skull of a white tailed deer buck at this crest.

B) it's a preview for Mr Wentworth.

Here's the whole story... or the story I'm too lazy to make a whole detailed story about. :p

Wentworth and I met on here, and we've been talking for a few months now. He's been very interested in the idea of coming from Australia, to Canada to practise Bushcraft in Canadian wilderness. So back in March, I tossed an open invitation his way. Wentworth snatched it up quickly, and this coming May, we will be heading for a 2 week trip.

The trip will include two trips. The second trip will be a 6-7 day backpacking trip into the Spanish River region of North Superior, Ontario. Which is just south of Sudbury.

But the first part of the trip, is a 3 day canoe trip on the Saugeen River. Which is literally a ten minute ride on an atv from my house. The Saugeen, includes class 1 rapids (slightly rough water), as well as class 2 rapids (fairly rough), but is nearly all smooth. We will be canoeing around the time the river has calmed down, so chances are it will be nice and smooth.

The word Saugeen, comes from the Ojibway word "Zhaageeng" which means "Mouth of the River". It was one of the most important rivers in the Eastern Lake Huron region, where voyageurs, courier-de-bois, and native traders used the river like an aquatic freeway. But the Saugeen's use spans further back than the Fur Trade.To this day, small archeological digs still turn up whole tools from pre-European contact, including stone celts, flint arrowheads, and even small garbage mounds, made completely of mussel shells and deer bones.

Now adays, it's one of the most popular fishing spots in Bruce County, maybe even South-Western Ontario. It is the home to severl waterbirds, including herons, ospreys, and ducks. As well, hundreds of insects, fish, amphibians and reptiles call the river home. Large mammals also frequent the Saugeen. To this time, I have seen coyotes, deer, and black bears travelling along the shores of this beautiful river. As well as beaver, muskratt, racoons and red foxes.

But enough writing, let's just look at the beauty of her.

IMG_0879.jpg

The Saugeen River. This picture was taken from Dead Deer Crest, looking downstream.

IMG_0875.jpg

Trout lily, very common in the Saugeen River Valley

IMG_0876.jpg

Purple Trillium, Ontario's Provincial flower, also common in the river valley.

IMG_0740.jpg

Chippy the Chipmunk, one of my woodland companions.

IMG_0886.jpg

My hammock set up at Dead Deer Crest, to overlook the beautiful Oxbow in the river.

IMG_0883.jpg

Part of nature, a duck killed, most likely by a fox or a coyote.

So there you have it. The river which Wentworth, myself, and perhaps JonM will be traversing in a few weeks. Truly a beautiful place, and it has been my backyard for 18 years.

Here is a video preview I made for Wentworth.. yeah, I'm really trying to sell it to him! :lmao:

The Saugeen River

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
That looks like a fantastic spot Oz. Will you get in bother for camping on the bank of the reservation or is it fine to do it with respect for the area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE