Just stabbed myself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

Wibbl

Was scraping paint from a palet with my penknife... blade went into my thumb :(

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Welcome to the club.... :D

Lessons will be learnt from this, then forgotten and then more scars will appear on your hands.

These things happen...just remember

If the blade comes out the other side.....stop pushing :)

W

Wibbl

Nah it flicked out the same side spraying blood all the way up my thumb :eek:

All sorted now.. TCP + plaster :)

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I remember my first serious cut .
I went to pin a paper target to a tree with my non locking pocket knife and the blade folded right onto 3 of my fingers ,all needed stitched .
Didnt I feel like a prize :censored: :eek:
Never did that again.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
New Swiss army knife in July - what did I learn?
  • New SAKs shut fairly quickly
  • bandaging the big cut on your finger after finding out point 1 is difficult with only 1 hand
  • half a year later a good knife will still have left quite an obvious scar

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Most people learn! If you look closely, there's one, just crossing the other!

I'm sure that reflects me badly.

The second was OK, the first required 12 butterflies - six more after it bled off the first 6!

Attachments

• Scar 1.jpg
    Scar 1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 162

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Most of the bows I make have a bit of blood in them somewhere :eek:

I can count 8 visible scars on my left hand...I thought I'd share 2.

scarsgg9.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One, two ,three, four, five ,six seven ,eight........more scars on my left hand than I can count! You would think that a grown man would learn!
I have learned that masking tape makes a good temp dressing so that you can carry on imediately and not get blood all over you project, pain is all in the mind - if you realy want to get on with a carving a cut does NOT hurt - and yes you feel a ************* everytime you end up seeing your own blood drawn by your own stupidity!
Nearly 50 and still learning!
John

W

Wibbl

Great... the limph (sp?) nodes in my armpit have swolen slightly meaning its probally infected >: (

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Scratched myself on my hand once some years ago, not much of a scratch but It got infected and the infection started going up my arm following a nerve path. When I finally decided to see a quack it was nearly at my armpit, he put me straight on a big dose of antibiotic and said I was lucky, it would have got much worse if I had waited any longer. Better see a doctor!

W

Wibbl

I'll eat lots of garlic ^^ a very good herb for this sort of thing.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wibbl said:
Tea tree oil will kill anything. I use it all the time to avoid seeing a quack. But even I admit sometimes I need see one.

Had really close near miss with a dremmel. I had just changed the sanding bit and hadn't screwed the top in properly. Started sanding at full speed and it comes off. Luckly it flew off peirced through a glass bottle and then through a fence. It left bullet size holes in both. I had three children standing behind me watching. :nono: Sometimes you don't know the danger until it hits you.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Haha made me giggle.. must admit ive got some crackers.. usually from trying to fix the landy.. but never stabbed myself! (someone else had a go once.. thats not a nice scar.. or experiance!) My best is snapping a 13mm spanner on a manifold bolt and promptly slitting my wrist on it... arterial bleeds on your mums 1st floor windows dont go down well!
Joe

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Wibbl said:

Hi Wibbl, It isn't Greywolf, it's his wife who can't remember her login details LOL.

Try soaking in salt water. Put plenty of salt in.
Then dry thoroughly and cover with honey, the firm stuff is better then dress the wound.
The salt will help kill of any infecting and the honey draws it out.

I swear by this remedy :)

In fact it's helped where medical science couldn't....my nanna had a manky toe that they'd thrown all sorts at, including antibiotics, which wouldn't clear up, yet after a few days of this it had healed :)

Greywolfs wifie LOL x

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Managed to slip the blade through the fingers once. Cut three fingers quite deep. Sewed the wounds up myself, but the it wasn't done properly so I had to go to the doctor to have it restitched.

The doctor had never had someone sew himself up before, let alone with woolen thread. :lmao:

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
While holding a piece of metal in my left hand and instructing my son not to do this, I drilled (actualy screwed in) a 1/4 drill bit through the joint of my left thumb. Now came the hard part, I told my son to hit the reverse switch and proceeded to un-screw the drill bit out of the thumb joint. The good part was that that thumb joint had been stiff because it had calcified after a previous break and the drill neatly removed enough material that I was able to bend it again, to a degree :lmao: :D :yo:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE