Just met an old friend of Ray Mears...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Funny old world,

Was in work yesterday sorting out the fruit and veg (Morrisons) and a nice older lady started telling me why the mushrooms have to go in paper bags. She carried on to say she was retired 5 years and is a honorary member of the SAS.

She explained she taught at hereford, teaching the SAS men what to eat and what not to eat and she did all this with Mr Mears. She regularly has a phone call or two off him and was delighted to be at his wedding..

I was itching to ask her to let me meet him (again) but I restrained myself.

All in all a good random chat! :headbang:

towim.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats nice, you never know who you are talking to.

Rob

That's an interesting point; She probably didn't think for a minute, that mention of her little conversation with the nice lad in the supermarket, would be posted on a global forum!

no harm done but it just shows, you really do never know, who you're talking to and where your conversation might end up;)

R.B.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
no harm done but it just shows, you really do never know, who you're talking to and where your conversation might end up;)

R.B.

Good point, never really did think of that! just shows that everyone talks about everyone everywhere I guess... Hope if she reads this tho she is flattered.. Saying that her sas chums are probably poised on my door step ready to finish me :(

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Funny old world,

She carried on to say she was retired 5 years and is a honorary member of the SAS.:headbang:

towim.

Now I'm picturing a granny pushing her tartan trolley with a Heckler and Koch MP5 stowed away.

It's true though, spend a bit of time chatting to some older people and you get to meet some remarkable people. My other halfs uncle was a glider pilot for Overlord and Market Garden. His diary is now in the Imperial War Museum. My Grandfather served on the Hood (Before it sank) and my great uncle was one of the first paras to land in Normandy.

These people see the things they did as 'very ordinary'. If we are not careful there's going to be a lot of first hand experiences lost to the world.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thats pretty cool. My mate was lucky enough to chat with the 'real' James Bond, or at least the man who it was based on. Lets say from the stories he got told it makes Bond look a bit of a wimp.. lol Odd world indeed.. :D

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Many years back when I moved into my first house, I met the old dear next door. She asked what I do. I replied "IT security - I guess it's secret codes and the suchlike," expecting her not to have a clue. Turned out she worked at Bletchley Park, and not just as a secretary - she was on the maths team. I learned a big lesson about never underestimating an older person...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE