Just like Grandma used to make

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Today I've been taking these 4 marrows and a big lump of ginger

Chopped and blitzed the ginger

Peeled and diced up the marrow

Boiled them up with some lemons

Added some sugar

Then when ready I put it all into some jamjars :)

I used to help my grandmother when she made Marrow and Ginger jam when I was little so it brings back fond memories when I make it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That actually makes marrow look edible ;)
I love my veggies, but marrows and squashes leave me a bit hmmmmm :dunno:

I make rhubarb and ginger jam, must admit I might try this one Mesquite :D

Cheers,
M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

It does more than make it look edible Mary, M&G jam along with Damson are my top favourite jams. :cool:

I'm going to have to make another batch because I've promised some to my uncle who loved it when his mother made it for him.

Hopefully I won't overheat it quite so much and start to caramelize the sugar on that batch :rolleyes:

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I like to use about 50/50 fresh and Crystallized Ginger (chopping the crystallized into slightly smaller pieces than it normally comes in) it tends not to disappear as much as the fresh but I agree it is very nice and generally most people I have offered it to have not immediately picked the Marrow as being Marrow.

Marrow chutney is another good one.

D.B.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had to look them up to learn they're more or less a stripe zucchini. I've always had them sliced and either stewed with tomatoes or battered with corn meal and deep fried. I never had them that way but it looks good.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I love my veggies, but marrows and squashes leave me a bit hmmmmm :dunno:

I make rhubarb and ginger jam, must admit I might try this one Mesquite :D

Cheers,
M

Im with you on that one, Fi keeps trying to make me eat pumpkin but I will try the marrow and ginger.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
amounts recipe would be nice

Load of peeled marrow, exact amount depending on size of marrows and how much jam you want to make. All of it diced into 1cm chunks or smaller
Big lump of ginger peeled, diced then blitzed in a blender. Exact amount dependant on personal taste.
Equivalent weight of marrows and ginger in granulated sugar
2 lemons with zest removed, juice squeezed and rind quartered then both added to marrow.
1 bottle of certo pectin.
Bring to a rolling boil and check temp is at least 105C
Do usual test for jam set
Remove lemon rinds then bottle.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The whole idea of making a preserve is new to me but it looks appetizing.
Sadly, my guts cannot do ginger without massive indigestion.

Vegetable marrows, zucchini, and squashes are very plentiful here in September.
Usually in quantities far beyond anyone's needs. So the game is to think of uses for them.
One is to drive around at night, testing vehicles for unlocked doors.
Finding same, you off -load a couple of zucchini on the unsuspecting owner.
I was victimized twice this year.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Im with you on that one, Fi keeps trying to make me eat pumpkin but I will try the marrow and ginger.

Ironically tinned pumpkin is better than fresh. All of the varietals raised for food get tinned whereas the ones that are fresh are the varietals raised for looks (to become jack-o-lanterns and decorations.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Vegetable marrows, zucchini, and squashes are very plentiful here in September.
Usually in quantities far beyond anyone's needs. So the game is to think of uses for them......

Here's a few videos of recipes I found interesting and want to try:
-Masala Zucchini https://youtu.be/-ikr5peuLJs
-Spicy Korean Zucchini https://youtu.be/BAia_flsxLc
-Zucchini Frittata https://youtu.be/FEPZFJGVfFw
-Zucchini Pancakes (pardon the fake Italian accent) topped with smoked salmon https://youtu.be/02F4xa6qXMo

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some "decorator" pumpkins are sweet as can be, most aren't. I guess it isn't a premium feature.
I buy a pumpkin meant for eating in my weekly veg order, the same variety that I can buy canned in the grocery store.
While the outer skin is orange, it's also as rough as sand paper.

Cut it and gut it. Seeds go into 1C water + 2tbsp salt for 24 hrs. Drained and onto a sheet, into the oven for 10 minutes.
Slabs of pumpkin in a 1" score. Rubbed with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 350F until soft (about an hour).
When my kids were little 3-8, say, the baked pumpkin slabs were an absolute supper time hit.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice recipe, I really enjoy marrow. Well, more so than most other squashes. It's really a wet bulking agent in many recipes.

Buttered marrow is a traditional accompaniment to roast beef. Chunk it up, put in pan with a good dollop of butter, pinch of salt and a good load of pepper. Seal pan tight with both foil and a lid, and steam for 10 mins. It's very good.

Marrow rings stuffed with well seasoned mince and onions served with mash is one of my favourite meals ever. Ignore the recipes that call for tomato etc. Salty (oxo or bovril type thing), peppery mince and onions is the best.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Marrow rings & mince? Grand plan, I'll do that. Thanks. Bison burger needs onion and pepper.

There are many recipes for cheese topped tomato based stuffed marrow. It's pure desperation to put other flavours with a bland vegetable. Well seasoned beef or lamb mince and onions doesn't mess about, it just works. Don't salt the marrow, let the meat draw out the juice and season it for you.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for marrow & mince.
t2808.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE