Just interested, any climbers here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for the input guys. Like I said, I've only just started, but one thing that struck me, after reading a thread on the psychology of survival, was that climbing, though utterly different to bushcraft, for me offers the same challenge. You are on your own, with only your own two hands and feet, and often in a situation where you have to make decisions which will impact on your success. The mind works fast, the eye, the senses are alive. There's a physicality involved, but also a greater reliance on learned technique.
In many ways it reminds me being in the bush, of providing for yourself, of dealing with nature as it comes, of thinking ahead and knowing when to move and when to not, of realising that sometimes physicality is needed, and sometimes thought, and most often a combination of the two. And also there is the realisation that a simple misjudgement can have catastrophic results.
That may sound prosaic, but I honestly can't think of anything (except maybe trout fishing), which gets the same nerves buzzing and muscles aching.

Anyway, like I said, thanks for the input.

All the best

Phil

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi

Yes climbed for 3 years loved it, but my knees ant what they used to be and I cant do the big walk-ins and out.
Last time I did Adam and Eve in the Gower vale. It took me an age to get down.My knees heart like hell.

But I loved it, I can remember who said it. "Climbing, bull fighting and motor racing are the only sports, everything else are hobbies".

Regards
Rum

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
been climbing for 20 odd years, now more for fun at VD - HVS grade trad routes. That said I've got more into caving this year
Oh yes - climbing in the dark, wearing wellies, covered in mud and soaked to the bone :)
The thinking mans climbing :D
I used to do a lot of that too Derbys, Yorks, S Wales ... I have now given up due to my body hurting too much too soon on trips ... plus a lifetimes dosage of Radon already......
Kinda miss the caving as much as the climbing ......

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I used to do a bit, I started to get into big walling but never had the time to travel. Still want to do a big route though, spend over a week on a route.
Me at the Verdon a few years ago hanging off a dubious looking 8mm bolt , hammocking at 500ft anyone:D
verdonclimbingtrip54.jpg

The lightweight approach:confused:
verdonclimbingtrip65.jpg

I like climbing trees at the moment, and hope to be taking my rugrat out soon.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I don't have the time anymore and live miles from any crags but from 1980 to around 1995 I used to do quite a lot. I was lucky because when I was in 6th form we were allowed to rock climb as a school sport. So we used to go to Wharton Crags in N lancashire. I used to live in Lancaster so used to do Wharton, Farleton and the Lake District. I've also climbed on Skye, Cornwall and N Wales. Memorable climbs - Dream of White Horses On Gogath in Pembrokeshire. Not technically difficult but wow what an atmosphere. Best ever climb. Leading an E1 5C in the Langdales when my mate who is 6 3 couldn't do it - and I'm 5 8!! Ah good days.
But climbing is both physical and a real brain game. Somedays I'd be sat on a ledge shaking lighting a fag. Other days I'd be like some kind of animal jumping for handholds.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I take school (work) groups every Thursday - after school - to EICA, Edinburgh (biggest indoor wall in the world) over the winter. When the clocks change we go outside. I multi pitch bolted routes climb in europe when there in the summer, you can't beat easy access 5 pitch bolted routes up unpolished rock with alpine views. The last three years we have been doing Via Ferrata too, great fun. Not done much multi or single pitch here, in Scotland, for a bit. Did two new routes in 2002. It's now part of the curriculum to take kids climbing during the school day, I will be taking a group, Outdoor Learning class, every Tuesday for Jan.

Decided to climb every week now myself, to get fit, now the new year has come. Living 20mins from Ratho wall does help.

Done lots of easy <grd3 winter climbign and mountaineering the last two winters, lots of white stuff. Did a new winter route last Nov, on Ben Ime, Arrochar alps. Was sent home when the school was shut for snow, then drove up and did the new route the same day ! A82 is nearly always cleared sharpish. Three years ago I stopped regularly munro baggin' when I hit 146, the next lot are 3+ drive away, with the fuel costs etc.

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
That sounds great.
I'm still indoors, but my friend, who's been showing me the ropes (pardon the pun) says he's going to take me outdoors in the spring, which I really look forward to.
But even just climbing indoors and bouldering is such a great workout. I ditched my gym membership, which I never used anyway, and now go three times a week climbing. The difference in my physique is noticable even after only couple of months. I have arms and a stomach which I would have killed for when I was twenty (I'm 47). shame I never discovered it then.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Climbing and bouldering outside really is different. More to think about and more challenging. There is also a huge variety of routes eg face climbs, slabs, cracks and a wide variety of rock types eg limestone with chicken heads, goulottes and granite faces and cracks.

I need to get climbing once a week again to burn off fat and build my core back up.

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
Used to do a bit of bouldering and indoor stuff when i lived up north, would like to get back into it but there's nothing at all where we live :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE