"Just hanging around the house" or "There's a Blackbird in my living room"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Thought I'd play with my hammock set up a little.

Please excuse the mess. As a single dad of a 5 year old I have the luxury of not having to clear up after him every day if I can't be arsed ;)

Sorry about the lighting. You can just about make out the shelf though.

In seat mode. I like this, breakfast from the hammock whilst watching Dave.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like it!
What did you use to secure the hammock to the walls?
I fancy this idea but need to support ...15 (say it qietly )stone....

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Big steel screw hooks drilled through wooden door frame and picture rail and into the wall. I have it just a foot off the ground when in use just in case. I just have to hope the hook doesn't bury itself in me if it fails.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Cool i like it , i would be tempted to sleep in it right there ! is that the start of a new craze bushrooming ?

Yeah I can see that phrase taking off.

Zarkwon, when I saw those anchors points I thought you'd fixed them to just the architrave, then I saw you'd got into the hammock! As has been said a potential You've been Framed moment in the making for sure if you'd only fixed it to a batten of wood panal pinned to the door lining.

Looks really comfy too. Nice one! Room enough for your son in there as well?... it's only a matter of time y'know. Unless he wants one in his own room.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I am sooooo jealous wish I had my hammock set up in the house! Lucky sod.

Which blackbird did you go for? Single or double or what? Looks good regardless!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice choice mate :)

I managed to scorch my Superfly on Tuesday morning when I was having a ciggy in the hammock :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
All too easy isn't it! Burnt a few holes in my DD hammock smoking in it. Luckily not a ciggy so the holes weren't too bad.

It's not really a hole as such but it's a bit thinner than it was before. I even had the panel pullouts rigged up but a strong gust caught me out and pushed the tarp in a touch :censored:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Nice hammock/set up, i too thought jeez, how long will that hold when i first saw pic's with you in it,(probably taking my own weight into account)as for the state of your living room,that's tidy compared to ours and i have a Mrs here,although we clean every day my 3 distructoid's(5,7,9) soon reverse that.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Like trying to hold back the sea eh Andy? :)

I hadn't looked at the Superfly before. It comes with pullouts attached??? Cool. I was considering sewing some on my Tatonka a la Shug but don't trust myself not to bugger it up.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Did you sew the pullouts on a la Shug Rich?

No mate they were on it when I got it, I think it's one of Brandons older ones with the press stud removable doors. They're a great idea though and really open things up, if I can get my sewing skills up to the mark I might have a go at a DD one day

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
How do you guys find the hammock side pullout on the blackbird? Is there much point to it?

No mate they were on it when I got it, I think it's one of Brandons older ones with the press stud removable doors. They're a great idea though and really open things up, if I can get my sewing skills up to the mark I might have a go at a DD one day

Why not use the plastic panel pulls? Can't mind the product name but in effect its a male and female half that each go on one side of the tarp and clip in together. No sewing required and no reports of it degrading tarp material. Haven't found a UK supplier but I totally want a couple.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How do you guys find the hammock side pullout on the blackbird? Is there much point to it?

Yeah I like them, they're similar to the Hennessy's if you've tried them. The side with the shelf obviously benefits from being pulled out but I sometimes don't bother on the door side, it does make it feel more roomy and keeps the netting away from your face.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE