Just finished, what do you think??

leon-1

Hi this is something that I have been working on for quite a while on and off and I would like honest opinions on it. As you can see it's a two compartment bag.

bag1xx1.jpg

It's made from 4-5 Ounce water buffalo hide, all the metal fittings are 1 inch solid brass and it has been dyed using a very dark brown oil dye that has then been flushed out. The stitching is six to an inch in black 0.8mm braid (tiger thread).

bag2cs4.jpg

As with most all leatherwork that I make it is done by hand (no machinery has come near this at all), hand cut, dyed, stitched, proofed, waxed and polished.

bag3fe8.jpg

The approximate dimension are 6.5" high x 7.5" wide x 4" deep (16.5cm x 19cm x 10cm for our metric friends).

I would like to know what people think of it as although I do and have made possibles pouches this is somewhat different.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That looks well cool! Maybe it does look a bit hand baggy, but not in a nail varnish and other junk style that women would carry in one, this looks more shotgun shells and Indiana Jones-ish, maybe Allan Quatermain!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's beautiful Leon, :D Sort of satchelly / cartridge pouch rather than handbaggy :cool:
Looks eminently practical too without being so big it'd be a pain to carry .

cheers,
Mary

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Leon....That is superb mate, well done.. Have you made it for someone, or is it for sale..? Or, are you keeping it..?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Really nice mate, bet it took a while to make, looks really usefull.

Gailainne

Life Member
That really does look good, I have had a go at various sheaths, and know the work that goes into them, what you have made is a whole other level, very impressed with the stiching, I must admit I use a dremel or drilling machine with a 1 mm drill :eek: .

Not handbag like at all, definately a satchel Indiana would be proud of, or indeed anyone of disconcerning taste.

Stephen

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just remembered what this reminded me of.

Used to use a bag just like it when was a teenager. Used to deliver papers during the week, and then on Sunday go round and get people to pay for 'em. And used a bag similar to carry the money in.

Looks good, and will only get better looking with age.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It looks excellent. The only thing I'd change is I'd swap the buckle assembly on one end (doesn't matter which). That would give me a complete belt in an emergency and I could also fasten male to female on the bag itself if I wanted a short carry. When you say you dyed it then flushed it out, could you explain please? I really like the bag though and I might just knock one up for myself after seeing yours.

Eric

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Really fine work Leon. Not only does it look superbly crafted, it looks well finished and in a manly sort of way. ;) I'm a big fan of the murse (man bag). :You_Rock_

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Beautiful work, great design and I really like the dye finish. Please explain the 'flushing out' process, it sounds interesting.

leon-1

That's beautiful Leon, :D Sort of satchelly / cartridge pouch rather than handbaggy :cool:
Looks eminently practical too without being so big it'd be a pain to carry .

cheers,
Mary

Thanks Mary, the bag was based on a design for a Cartridge bag that I have been working on, but the cartridge bag has only the one compartment at the moment (designed to take a 3" 12 gauge cartridge).

JonnyP said:
Leon....That is superb mate, well done.. Have you made it for someone, or is it for sale..? Or, are you keeping it..?

I won't be keeping it as it was made for my Mum. She keeps on bringing me an old bag to repair and I thought that the cartridge bag would make a good substitute. I widened it slightly by adding a second compartment and slightly decreased the size of the main compartment.

Mum is more of a practical lady and the bag had to be able to carry what she needs and suite her as a person. She'd mentioned that she liked the possibles pouches before and I got a little carried away:eek:

Eric_Methven said:
When you say you dyed it then flushed it out, could you explain please?

Yeah, I use the Dark Brown Professional oil based dye for this (the one that comes out nearly black after three coats).

I take the leather and soak it (literally throw it in a bucket) and leave it for well over an hour till the leather is saturated ( I have played with this as I have left leather in for days at a time before).

Then I drip dry the leather for approx 5 - 10 minutes before using a paint brush to paint on a layer of dye (the water helps the dye to penetrate the leather evenly) on both sides of the leather. After 30 minutes or so I dunk the leather in water again (any dye that is not doing anything or that hasn't absorbed normally soaks out in about 5 minutes).

I drip dry again and then coat again with dye. Then after about 15 minutes I give it a quick dunk in water again.

Then I hang it up outside in the shed to dry out totally and Naturally. It normally takes a while (especially this time of year) anything from 3 - 10 days dependant on weather and temperature. It leaves the pouch very slightly marbled.

I will point out that when I dye things I cut them out, groove them, bevel the edges and punch any holes first so that there is an even colour all over the bag under the stitching and everywhere else.

Dingo said:
nice work leon, 1100 stitch's must have been thirsty work mate!

Yep, the average sheath (F1 sized) that I make has between 54 and 56 stitches in total. The average possibles pouch around 300 or so. This one was a fair amount of work. I needed a beer just to cool my fingers afterwards, medicinal you understand:D.

Thanks for the comments, they're appreciated and it means that the pouch is about ready to give to Mum.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I was dreading clicking that link Leon,
You work is always fantastic - I just wondered what perfect thing you had made this time!

Very nice indeed.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE