Just bought vital piece of survival kit....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K I don't know how I survived without one going to have to it out this weekend, Hip flasks should definately be on the essential items lists :lol:

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I agree 110%! Whats your tincture of choice?

I'm quite partial to brandy top (wee bit of lemonade/ginger ale) or brandy/port half and half mixed..... it's really great, I promise!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Havent had Brandy/Port for a few years now, may have to buy myself some port soon. I'm quite into the single malts at the moment, either that or a decent Rum

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
mmmmm Lagavulin. Got a bottle in for Christmas, still got about 1/2 left. I caught the missus pouring one out for a guest :shock: I had to educate her, that when they say "I'll have a scotch" they dont mean Lagavulin. :wink: :lol:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ahhhh yes.... Mine always has a good measure of southern comfort in it. I think there's something quite magical about them. Next time you're in the woods with a group, It's been hammering down all day and you've just got the fire going well and everyone is huddled round steaming in the warm glow. Reach into your back pocket, open your trusty hip flask and offer it round. You'll be rewarded with lots of glowing smiles as spirits lift.... Cracking :biggthump

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'm keen on the Islay malts myself, drinking a nice Ardbeg as I type, not everyone's man enough for them though, especially Laphroaig, definitely an After-dinner Malt that one.

Had a friend once who liked whisky and orange :evil: :evil: :rant: had to buy a bottle of Co-op blend just for him.

IIRC Neil1 had a few nice malts at the Gathering, really helps the campfire.

Justin

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Cant beat a nip od single malt. Current stock is 1/2 bottle of Lagavulin, an unopened bottle of Talisker and 1/3 bottle of Balvenie, I like the deep peaty taste of Lagavuilin best though. Been thinking about a hip-flask, I like the one on Jack's site, bit pricey and maybe a little heavy. Maybe just a plain cheap stainless flask. What do you think, 4oz or 6oz?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Martyn said:
What do you think, 4oz or 6oz?

I've always found that if you're passing it round anything smaller than a 6oz is empty by the time it gets back to you :-(

I have two, a 4oz for when I'm alone or with one or two others and an 8oz when I'm with a group.
At least then you've got a fighting chance of having a snifter yourself :wink:

Cheers
:uu:
Mark

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Ginger wine for me!
Or, when it's a little colder, Black Bottle whiskey, the only blend to drink.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Quite agree chaps, essential kit!
Sloe gin works nicely, especially for passing round.
If alone its Highland Park for me.

Lithril, I like your style too!

Dave

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ah Sloe Gin, I've still got half a gallon left over from the batch I made last year, need to start stocking up on Gin soon for this year, have quite a few Demi Jons now at home :D

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Justin Time said:
I'm keen on the Islay malts myself, drinking a nice Ardbeg as I type, not everyone's man enough for them though, especially Laphroaig, definitely an After-dinner Malt that one.
Justin

Ah, Ardbeg is my favourite too. So smoky and peaty.....

Got a bottle of Laphroaig Cask strength too, but like you say, it's a bit strong neat, I kept getting heartburn. They reckon you should double it up with water, but then I don't like it like that........so I stick Stones Ginger wine in it occasionally until I get trained up to the taste. Not a bad compromise I think.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Had a friend once who liked whisky and orange

Justin, you have to be more carefull chosing your friends! :nono:

bottle of Lagavulin, an unopened bottle of Talisker and 1/3 bottle of Balvenie
a nice Ardbeg
Laphroaig Cask strength

... still strange, to join a forum on something weird like Bushcraft and to find out that you share so much more with those people. :wink:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
There seem to be an awful lot of people with good taste around here !
Personally I enjoy
"lights": McCallan, Highland Park, Tullamore Dew
and "darks": Ardbeg, Talisker, & Laphroig on the shelf just now
I'm partial to a good Calvados (makes an excellent sauce for an apple sorbet too) but the most unusual tipple I was ever offered outdoors was cherry brandy. Cheers
:-D

J

JeremyH

Good to see so many of you are into the Islay Malts - I use a hip flask, have done for many years - best choice at the moment...
Bruichladdich, although Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg come close seconds. In fact I was done that way this afternoon tracking and finding a Blue Phase Snow Goose with Greenland Whitefronts. That was something to open the flask to!
Perhaps we should have a meet here...on Islay.

Slainte :lol:
JeremyH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE