Jon-e Handwarmer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The Jon-e handwarmer does not appear to have been discussed on the site before, possibly because it seems to be more of an American product and I haven't seen it on sale in UK/European shops. If you haven't seen them before, see this link for info: http://store.scottsbt.com/Jon--Handwarmer-Information-W6C1.aspx

Basically, they're a bit like a Zippo - you pour fuel onto an absorbent cushion. At the top of the metal container is a wick and a metal gauze thing. The wick is lit for about a minute and then blown out. A metal lid is placed over the top and then the whole thing is put into a cloth bag, pulled closed with a drawstring.

The gauze seems to contain a catalyst that keeps the fuel burning but without a flame - it glows. The heat provided keeps you warm and the more air that gets to the gauze, the hotter the unit gets.

I have read a number of reviews of this handwarmer and they are mixed - for some reason, a lot of people seem to have problems keeping the handwarmers lit (they are supposed to last for 8 hours on a full fuel load), or getting them relit.

I have had no problems with the unit and they have stayed lit and working for up to 6 hours when I've used them (that was on just over half a load of fuel). They are superb! Like having a permanent hot water bottle and I use them when out in the cold walking the dog or when in the Alps, camping/climbing. My only criticism is that there is a faint whiff of lighter fuel around you when they are in your pocket...

Has anyone else used these handwarmers before? I would be interested in your experiences and whether you've had any of the problems described above.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not tried this kind but have tried pocket charcoal fueled handwarmers.
They work OK and you can restock the fuel with home cooked charcoal for cheap running!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I got all kinds of hand warmer even the new type ofter in done put back in hot water and use it again. New this is one i just got its so big i think its a foot warmer for sleeping bag.Or for a buggy ride.Now you can use birch fungus in them also.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
The Jon-e handwarmer does not appear to have been discussed on the site before, possibly because it seems to be more of an American product and I haven't seen it on sale in UK/European shops. If you haven't seen them before, see this link for info: http://store.scottsbt.com/Jon--Handwarmer-Information-W6C1.aspx

I have read a number of reviews of this handwarmer and they are mixed - for some reason, a lot of people seem to have problems keeping the handwarmers lit (they are supposed to last for 8 hours on a full fuel load), or getting them relit.

I have had no problems with the unit and they have stayed lit and working for up to 6 hours when I've used them (that was on just over half a load of fuel). They are superb! Like having a permanent hot water bottle and I use them when out in the cold walking the dog or when in the Alps, camping/climbing. My only criticism is that there is a faint whiff of lighter fuel around you when they are in your pocket...

Has anyone else used these handwarmers before? I would be interested in your experiences and whether you've had any of the problems described above.

I've not seen the liquid fuel type before but have done a bit of search and buy now ;)

I'm wondering if the lighting and keeping alight problems reported come later, possibly as soot, from ignition source, starts to cover the catalyst.

I'm not too keen on the idea of levering off the top top turn it off, I'd be bound to burn myself at some stage but I've found this type http://www.118golf.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3940 which ( although more expensive ) gets round that and has another advantage, the sooty ignition problem. Drawback being the batteries, although it's rare I've not got a couple of spare AAAs with me, I'm not keen on batteries being too close to a heat source, I guess taking them out after ignition would be a good idea.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm wondering if the lighting and keeping alight problems reported come later, possibly as soot, from ignition source, starts to cover the catalyst.

Good point - I'll keep an eye out and report back if I get any problems. If soot does become a problem (and it shouldn't in a catalytic reaction such as this), I'm wondering what the best way is to clean the gauze without damaging/removing the catalyst...

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep - same thing and works in exactly the same way. Mine was half the price but I bought it in a 'special' place.

Used it again for about the umpteenth time today and it still works brilliantly.

I'm still waiting to see the downside - beyond the whiff of refinery. No worse than 'Hai Karate', though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE