Joined the club and brought this Singer :) now a few noob questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I hope to collect this Singer 128k on Saturday. Now a few questions for those of you who know about these "Thread Injectors". The machine is described as working and I have downloaded the manual for it, but what do I use to clean the mechanisms prior to oiling?
What accessories do you recommend, and if possible can you quote the part numbers and maybe give links to retailers you trust?
What have you created with machines similar to this, my first project is a basic draw string bag for my Zebra Billy, how complex have your projects been?
Any links to good sites for instructions, patterns and tips and tricks?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Kard :)

I'm not sure about cleaning it, never had to apart from brushing out the lint from the bobbin case. I've got a pre-war singer and all it needs is a drop of oil in every hole and then running for a couple of mins to get it running sweetly. For any repairs I use a local repairer-hes very cheap and knows his thread injecting onions.

You can do loads with a singer, I find it sews through thicker material much better than modern domestic machines and sews more neatly too. I've made plenty on it now but nothing too complex, just underquilts, stuff sacks, hammocks etc.

HF have a great stickies section on thread injecting by a member called Rev.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Hi Kard :)I'm not sure about cleaning it, never had to apart from brushing out the lint from the bobbin case. I've got a pre-war singer and all it needs is a drop of oil in every hole and then running for a couple of mins to get it running sweetly. For any repairs I use a local repairer-hes very cheap and knows his thread injecting onions.

I'm with Teepee. Beyond oiling now and then consult your local repairer - there'll be one. One hint though; when you've put a drop of oil in the various holes turn the machine for a while without thread. If you're not actually sewing something you'll end up with a right dog's breakfast which could ultimately break your needle.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What have you created with machines similar to this, my first project is a basic draw string bag for my Zebra Billy, how complex have your projects been?

Have a look at Waylands recent Snow Smock thread for a complex project :)

Drop John Fenna a PM and ask for a copy of his DIY bushcraft book... plenty of ideas, tips and hints to get you started :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
She looks a real beauty. I bet you spend a while just stroking her!

Start with real simple projects like bags and pouches made from the legs of old trousers. Use cheap material to start as there may be some wastage while you get to know the machine. Everything on the machine is there for a reason; find out what each does.

My sewing is wonky like my spoons, but like my spoons, it is uniquely mine (and I'm going to bl**dy use it, cause I bl**dy made it!).

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Z (wearing trousers with wonky hems)

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I probably will end up admiring it for a while, using the serial number Iv'e found out it was made in Scotland in 1913, so at 98 years and still working, it only proves that in those days they built to last. I have arranged to collect it after 14:00hrs on Saturday.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
My advice, when picking it up keep your back straight and bend at the knees.... They weigh a bit;)

I've got a later version with an electric motor conversion, my dad still uses a hand cranked one like yours.

You might have a collection of weird and wonderful :confused: feet in the compartment on the RHS. Don't worry about them they are for posh sewing and I had to ask me mum what they were for. I still haven't used them :eek:

Seriously, a drop of oil every now and then is about it, they are pretty much bomb proof.

Cheers
Grebby

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
...she'll purr like a kitten when you do.

Like all good sayings, "Runs like a sewing machine," is grounded in practical experience. You'll twig straight away if something's not quite right, but chances are it'll all be fine. These things were extremely well built, and built to last.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Well, I got it :)
For a 98 year old machine, as far as I can tell it is working as well as the day it was made.

P1000519.jpg

The case is in good condition.

P1000520.jpg

The machine has a few marks where the paint has rubbed.

P1000521.jpg

The engraving on this plate is a little tarnished, a bit of Brasso maybe?

P1000522.jpg

The actual working of the machine is fine, the shuttle moves smoothly, the handle cranks smoothly, and the sewn line is straight (Any variance is down to me :) )

P1000523.jpg

P1000525.jpg

Here is a project I used the machine to finish, the heavy black stitches I did by hand taking me around one and a half hours, the pipe for the drawer string took all of five minutes on this beauty.

P1000524.jpg

(Best Rolf Harris impression) Can you guess what it is yet!

P1000526.jpg

P1000527.jpg

And here is a picture of the Bobbin winder in action, I found out that I had two, one in the shuttle and another in the storage compartment, along with three extra needles, some hemming tape, some flat elastic and a bit of sandpaper (?)

I am really happy with this piece of mechanical history, and having found and purchased a binder foot, a hemmer and an adjustable hemmer I will never need to buy a stuff sack again. On a side note my brother has already had me fix the seat of his work trousers and a t-shirt whose seam he ripped..

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and encouragement, it is appreciated.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nice. I have one of those which I bought for a fiver at the Birmingham Flea Market decades ago. They just keep on going, my dad used to recommend gun oil for them, but I use three in one. The biggest problem is getting the thread tension right, but I used to make all my own kit on a machine like that. I made a couple of rucksacks and all manner of custom bags.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Chuffed for you mate, looks great.

Almost identical to mine except the double winder-I feel left out now :(

Be careful with the brasso, you may lose the pattern altogether. You will find that as you oil it before every use, the excess oil needs wiping away and this polishes the machine for free. I'd see if it comes up without any abrasives first, Coca cola works a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE