Jews Ears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
I've just been out for a lunchtime break from work, and took a short walk along the Taff trail, a loop of about 1 mile from the office. I came across a nice collection of Jews ears growing on an elder branch, and collected a handful.
I've read that the best way to use them is to dry them and then add to soups, stews etc, but is there any other method that would suit them?

Sorry everyone, I'll get the hang of these forums soon, just done a search on old threads, and found some useful advice on using Jews ears......Doh!

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
My grandad used to cook them and other wild mushrooms, well fry to be specific, with onion, garlic and crushed peppercorns and cream cheese (e.g philidelphia) and serve it over pasta and a nice bit of steak on the side :D Yum.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Andyn,

that sounds lovely, I'm getting hungry already, just thinking about it :)

Are the older Jews ears any good too, I left a fair few there that looked a bit older, and just picked the younger looking ones, I may go back tomorrow, and take a longer lunch break!

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hiya,

Not sure about the older ones to be honest, I was always the consumer and never the cook :D

Just a word of advice though, try not to deplenish the stocks too much from the same area otherwise (if i understand correctly, and im no fungi expert) there will be no spores released so there will not grow back. I'm not sure of the growth period of jews ear, but I know they can survive winter so they may have been growing for some time.

Enjoy

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I got my first jews ears on Sunday, I just sliced them into strips and put them in my rabbit stew so they lost their individual flavour. Nice though.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
In a book of mine there is a recipe for Chinese style Jews ear soup:
25g (1oz) Jews ears
800g (2lb) Brown sugar crystals
500ml (1 pint) water

Clean, soak and roughly chop the ears.
Heat the sugar and water until the sugar melts and the water is almost boiling
Drain the ears, add to the syrup and steam for 1.5 hours. Serve hot or cold.
Never tried this myself, if you do, hope you enjoy it! :)

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Andyn,

some good advice there, I'll leave the older fungi alone, then check again later in the season. I've rad a bit more on them from some of the links given on BCUK, and there's some very useful info there. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Putting my politically correct hat on here ;) They are referred to as Jelly ears nowadays, especially when working with young people and the GP.

Cheers,
Toddy

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Hmmm, Yews Ears. I have a 'secret tree' where I harvest a batch each year:

DSC_0132.JPG

Good recipes given! I just fry them with the other fungi and improvise.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Wow, some excellent replies again, thanks to Stuart F for recommending adding to stir fries, that's gotta be worth a try! Also Toddy for adding the care point on political correctness, I guess we can't be too careful eh?
And Toddy, secret tree eh? sounds like a good move, I've noted todays find, so I'll check it throughout the year, and there's more than one! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know, political correctness is too often just a poor attempt at courtesy; but in this case I do think it's a better name for the fungi. It really does look like a jelly ear. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
Here is my understanding of the names origin.

Latin name: Auricularia auricula-judae
Size: Approximately 60mms across.
Distribution: Found throughout the UK.
Months seen: All year round.
Habitat: Frequently found on elder and beech trees.
Special features: The name comes from the story that Judas Iscariot hung himself from an elder tree, and this type of fungi is often found growing on elder trees.

So to be correct to the latin you could call them Judas ears which refers to the individual rather than the race. My fathers side of the family are Jewish and it does come across as offensive. Personally as a retired treckie I think they look more like Ferenghi ears. I can see them on that alien behind the bar selling drinks.

Hawkeye The Noo

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
The Dutch name is 'Echt Judasoor' which translates to 'real Judas ear'. Still too biblical to me, but certainly less offensive and more in tune with the Latin name.

-Emile

Jackdaw

It is also thought that the name "Jews Ear" derived from the fact they were called Judas Ears (because of the Elder connection) and because in the middle ages all mushrooms and fungas were referred to in a derogatory manner as Jews Meat.

I call them Judas Ear Fungus or use their latin name, but always give the history of the names as I know them.

Jelly Ear sounds a bit babyish to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE