Jerven Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Has anyone any experience with these, I'm not going to ask if there any good cause I think they probably are due to who uses them, armed forces etc but how real world useful are they for bushcraft and mountain walking? Also which one is the best all rounder.
Thanks

Sent from somewhere?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Like I said I read through the thread I like the idea of the one with removable liner (don't know what name) but being over 6" I'm confused as to which one to look at now😳😳
Also which one is the ideal for all round use in the uk?

Sent from somewhere?

bearbait

I have the Jervenbag Exclusive with both liners. The bag w/o liners is constantly in my day sack. I use it for catnapping on day hikes (it's an age thing) and getting out of the wind/weather when on lunch stops. Makes a big difference. Also use it as a "poncho" in poor weather, although if I know loads of rain is due I'll take my cag as well. As a poncho it covers both me and my day sack (35L) easily, including my legs. Also great as groundsheet when on picnics with GF. Have never used the bag with the liners but do use the liners for sitting around in in camp on cool evenings. It's a piece of kit that works well for me.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I have the thermo extreme im 6ft 3 and there is pardon the pun,,, bags of room in it. Only use it for colder months though as I tried it in August once and nearly passed out(too warm for me) mainly used for seal watching as the camo pattern matches there rocks round here real well.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
They look good just not yet convinced they are work that money. I always carry a DPM US poncho for emergencies and that was £15.00

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Andy thats thrown the cat among the pigeons... Ha ha I was just thinking it might be a cheaper alternative. Still cost is a big thing...and the Jerven bags are a tad expensive

Sent from somewhere?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yep don't get me wrong they are very expensive I was lucky my wife got it for me for my birthday totally out of the blue, she knew id been reading about them especially Twodog's and Markink9's Norwegian trip's and I thought they would be perfect for my seal watching (East coast of Scotland in winter can be bleak) I did some google research and rang Woodlore all very useful, as I said depends what you want one for and to which model you would go on to purchase mine is really to warm for summer use, I have used my U.S poncho and liner in Summer, but to me I find them not warm enough for all but the very warmest night in the U.K,though you are somewhat further south than me,and maybe sleep warmer? also the model Jerven I have has more space than the ponch combo,and being all zipped rather than the press stud and cotton sting tie in's of the poncho/liner is much better in foul weather, only downside of my jerven really is that the liner doesn't zip out.
If we lived nearer id bring it round and the U.S poncho/liner and let you try both,Definately though don't buy id say without checking one out it is a lot to lay out on the advice of other's it needs being seen for ones self as there are people who have had them and just don't get on with them.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have a U.S woodland pattern poncho and liner its good but its no comparison to a Jerven at all in every sense, apart from being not as expensive of course.

Can you let me know what makes the Jerven so different and why. Also heard different thing about them and just wondering.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Starting with the outer mine is much more roomy,better materials(obviously a poncho is mass produced for US troops still good bit of kit though) Jerven also has the body heat reflective inner, the full length zips as opposed to the ponchos metal eyelets so much more useful for keeping out foul weather as I said the poncho liner just ties into these loops with a lace, so no real draft protection,the jerven also does have eyelets so it can be used as a basic shelter,both can be used as a ground sheet or blanket/cover no real difference there,but then we come to the insulation, jerven use primaloft with a silky outer material very warm even when wet, the poncho uses a very thin I mean very thin type of nylon quilt material not really warm in anything but mild condition, but it does beat my jerven in that being removable it would dry faster if wet, they both can be used as poncho's
Both can be used as hide's but Jerven again would excel in the sit up type hide/shelter it has arm slits which are zipped and storm flapped, and has a suppied set of sleeves provided,a basic safety marker/reflective flag provided and a compression sack/carry bag/pillow provided I think this is a very usefull well thought out bit of kit. All round the Jerven beats the Poncho/liner in everything and so it should except the quick drying ability unless you get the zip in liner model, but there again your less likely to get wet in the first place, some people say they get condensation though I never have in mine I just adjust the ventilation either by the side bottom top zip or the arm slits. there is a company that makes something called a woobie?? its a large quilted jacket/liner/bag that combined with a good light weight poncho maybe a very good slightly cheaper alternative, sure twodogs or Martin can give you much more info as they have used there's way more times in various conditons than I have. hope this helps.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
one last thing my Model Jerven is so roomy I can get my 55l bag in with me in bad weather when lay down wildlife watching cant do that with my poncho/liner set up,small thing that may be just usefull for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE