jedi cloak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
A mate of mine is wanting a jedi type cloak, i think they are called arab jelabars. I remember Ray had one in the desert sitting by his landy at night. Does anybody know where I can get one from

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
This might sound very odd, but I have just such a brown garment (and every now and then can do an almost passable Alec Guinness voice - there are scouts in my district that know me as Obi-Wan after I took it on Winter camp in 2003), I picked it up at an LRP (live role playing) event 2 years ago - I was playing a monk.

aside - we're talking latex swords and orc bashing here, not english civil war re-enactment.

The garment was about £30, easily reaches to the ground from my 5'6" frame, has a hood and wide full sleeves. although of unknown material, I've found it cool enough during the day, and snuggly warm at night.

I'm keeping my lightsabre(s) as well!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Last time I visited Morocco, I found it hard to get out of Tangier without buying a djellebah (not sure if this is the right spelling). 'Hey, sir, come to my brothers shop, he give you special price', etc, etc.

They weren't very expensive.[/i]

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
You can have mine, I'm keeping my light sabre though because i can carry it legally as part of my religious costume. :lol: :-D
I keep telling you Martyn, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side ... :naughty: :sword:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
Martyn if your not joking how much will it be. I assume it will cost a lot to post. he's wanting it for sitting round fires

Sorry Andy, I dont have one. My tounge was firmly in my cheek. :wink:

Adi, I agree with you (and Han) about blasters, but you should try getting our Chief Constable to issue a licence for one - nightmare. :wink: :-D

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
What about making your own Hudson Bay Blanket Capote. As favored by trappers and frontiers men and women a like.

I imagine it could be made out some of the old army blankets (might be a bit itchy do).

James

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I always thought that Ray was wearing a Swanndri Bush Shirt in that program on dessert survival.

I have one and they do have quite a big hood on them. Do feel a little conspicous wearing it, its grey/black check and have been called Robin Hood many times :oops:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Sutlers Stores, www.sutlers.co.uk , sell seconds of Hudsons Bay blankets for £20 - £40 depending on size. They also have a very interesting range of camping gear for the historically minded, so now you can experience the thrills of having the handle fall off your coffee pot when the solder melts.

If you need a pattern for a hooded cloak then try searching for "Renaissance" and "costume" on Google. There are loads of companies out there selling readymades and books of patterns, but be aware that more often that not the pre-made variety are costumes for re-enactors and roleplayers, not intended to provide the warmth and durability of the real thing.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
funny 'cause i was looking at capote patterns in "wildwoods wisdom" and thinking that army blankets cost 6 quid from the local shop, waaaaay cheaper than a swannie. :cool:

cheers, and.

Brynglas

Kath said:
How about this one I found on the web http://www.stagmancreations.co.uk/cloaks.htm. (Not a recommendation though - never heard of them before! But looks like they've got some good stuff... but pricey!!)

Of course if you don't mind hobbit style rather than Jedi, http://www.stansborough.co.nz/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalogue.product&products_id=5 I've had my eye on one of these for a while! :-D

This is quite a scary site!! Ritual swords, altar cloths, pentacles and 'scourges' . I obviously don't understand the purpose of a great deal of the stuff they sell but it's all abit too far over to the dark side for my taste.It's blooming expensive stuff too. I'm not saying too much as they're only a few miles down the road from me and I'm not so sure that I'd want to find out exactly what 'rituals' those swords could be used for.

:roll:
Nice cloaks though!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
sargey said:
funny 'cause i was looking at capote patterns in "wildwoods wisdom" and thinking that army blankets cost 6 quid from the local shop, waaaaay cheaper than a swannie. :cool:

cheers, and.

Army blankets are pretty cool, I bought quite a few of them to test out with a view to making my own bush shirts. They are cheap and available in 2 weights, thick winter ones and lightweight tropical ones.
We polar proofed them with nikwax and took them on a recent trip to Scotland, fortunatly it decied to hailstone/heavy rain for about 4 days. They were very weather proof, the outside of the fabric eventualy became wet but inside only got slightly damp after prolonged exposure. They did become very heavy however.
At the moment we are planning our next trip to take a woolen blanket in place of hootchie/sleeping bag etc. I think they would be great inside a natural shelter.
Here is a pic, excuse my mates poor photography, I think he was trying to keep the camera dry.
47678.jpg

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I remember when I did my journeyman course me and the guys I shared my shelter with all used our swanni's as blankets at night.

Later I even opened up my bushshirt and added a zip like the Mosgiel jackets have - that was even better.

And now swanndri have introduced the waterproof xtreme range I think they will be provng themselves to be a must.

Will, you should try making a Capote (jacket like the mountain men wore)out of your blanket - then you can use it as both a jacket and a blanket. They are easy to make and warm too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE