Japanese multi purpose knife-like gardening tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
They do look interesting, but one can not add all the interesting items to one's pack. It comes down to which is best to carry, which is the more useful. I can't think of any equipment that I use that I would replace with this item.
Keith.
natas are quite common and everyone of my co-workers had at least one (=forestry work), sadly i had to leave all except one behind :oops: -- the one which made it to central america with me has a 150mm blade and works well for opening a coconut on a beach trip. but i guess you don't have too many coconuts (or bamboo) in your area?!;):p one of my friends showed me a short movie from ca. 1970 where a bunch of locals built a bit in the mountains (in Japan) from branches and bamboo using only their natas....I

edit: i missed a typo "thanks" to auto correction:banghead:: it's supposed to say "built a HUT", not "built a bit"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Loup

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Interesting that Japan has a reputation for good design and quality steel, I wish the same could be said for China. The majority of Uk tools from once reputable manufacturers who would use anything less than Sheffield Steel (unless it came from Bilston) now use absolutely crap steel. I am used to the handles of my spades breaking under heavy usage, but this time it was the blade of the spade that fractured at the weld, oy vey!.

Interesting that Japan has a reputation for good design and quality steel, I wish the same could be said for China. The majority of Uk tools from once reputable manufacturers who would use anything less than Sheffield Steel (unless it came from Bilston) now use absolutely crap steel. I am used to the handles of my spades breaking under heavy usage, but this time it was the blade of the spade that fractured at the weld, oy vey!.
it's because Japan kept a lot of old crafts and traditions alive -- china is capable of producing high quality, too (after all: they successfully got someone into space and back) but sadly not much of it makes it to other countries....

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Madame's annual dilemma on what to get me for Christmas has been solved thanks to Beachlover's generous offer. As he was not expecting payment, Madame did a deal to contribute to a charity of his choice instead. So Team Unlimbited is better off by the price of a Hori-hori.

But that was not the end of the generosity. When the package arrived, he had thrown in a new sheath as a present. Thank you, Kev.

Father Christmas does not live at the north pole; he lives on the Isle of Wight!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Out with the village Wildlife and Conservation Group this morning. We were working on a wood that was planted for the Millenium and left unmanaged since. Our task was to strip deer-proof plasic and stakes from trees that have long since outgrown them and become embedded into twenty year old maturing trees. Most of the group were equipped with secateurs but my hori-horic made short work of it and excited much envy. I think Hennie Hayes can expect a new rush of orders from this part of Oxfordshire.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The only thing I disliked about mine was the sharp corners on the handle so I whittled them round. I use it for planting small bulbs where a trowel is unnecessarily large.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE